Premed 101 Forums

2018 MCAT and admissions cycle

Hi, I am planning to re-write the MCAT after studying this past summer and receiving a 510 (126/125/129/130). I applied to 4 schools this admissions cycle (Alberta schools, Queens, Ottawa). My cGPA is fairly low (3.57), 2yr GPA is a 3.88 on the OMSAS scale, and wGPA for Ottawa is a 3.87 and I can't say with full certainty what my chances will be this cycle. 

I don't want to forget what I've learned over the summer for the MCAT and if I wait until next summer to re-write I know I will have to re-study everything from the start.

Should I go for a re-write in early 2018 and start prepping again now while everything is still kind of fresh? or wait until the summer to re-write after seeing what happens with my applications this cycle?

What would you do? Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. I just can't decide what choice would be better and I thought perhaps some of you have been in the same boat or could provide some input. 

It's really up to you and what you have going on in life. I'm in a similar boat where I applied but want to re-write the MCAT for next year, but I don't have the time to write it in Winter so I'm planning to do it in the summer. But if you have the time by all means writing in the winter is great. 

On 10/18/2017 at 1:02 AM, Britesharpie93 said:

Hi, I am planning to re-write the MCAT after studying this past summer and receiving a 510 (126/125/129/130). I applied to 4 schools this admissions cycle (Alberta schools, Queens, Ottawa). My cGPA is fairly low (3.57), 2yr GPA is a 3.88 on the OMSAS scale, and wGPA for Ottawa is a 3.87 and I can't say with full certainty what my chances will be this cycle. 

I don't want to forget what I've learned over the summer for the MCAT and if I wait until next summer to re-write I know I will have to re-study everything from the start.

Should I go for a re-write in early 2018 and start prepping again now while everything is still kind of fresh? or wait until the summer to re-write after seeing what happens with my applications this cycle?

What would you do? Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. I just can't decide what choice would be better and I thought perhaps some of you have been in the same boat or could provide some input. 

None of us can answer this for you and it very much depends on who you are as a person, what your preference is, and what your situation is during this school year. I wrote the MCAT twice, two summers in a row, with no studying during the school year in between (because I didn't have time) and that worked out fine for me - things came back to me so I wasn't starting from a completely blank slate. 

Basically there is no right or wrong - do what you prefer to do. Although I do agree that you might want to wait until you see if you've got any interviews before re-writing so you don't waste your time. 

Archived