Premed 101 Forums

Reconsidering Med School - Competitive App?

I am looking to get some external perspective on how competitive my application would be for medical school, and if it is worth a shot.  I've done some serious thinking on future career paths...thoughts?  My aim would be to progress into neurology specialization with a combination of practice and research (more-so research)

Undergraduate:

BSc Honours Psychology, Minor Neuroscience

• Year 1: ~70%
  • Year 2: ~76%
  • Year 3: ~78%
  • Year 4: ~82%
  • Year 5: ~88%
  • Overall: ~78-79.4%

Masters:

MSc Neuroscience

GPA: 88%

Post-Graduate Diploma:

Clinical Trials Management, Western University Continuing Studies (9 courses + Practicum)

GPA: 89%

Research Experience

• 1 published first author
  • 2 published co-author
  • 1 first author in progress
  • 1 co-author in progress

Work Experience

• Research Assistant (Currently Hired; Nephrology)
    • Coordinate cluster randomized clinical trials
  • Research Intern (Oncology)
    • 400 hours

The main problem that I see is that your undergraduate grades seem a bit low to be competitive. I'm not an expert but I believe graduate grades are not considered, even though having a Masters is a great asset in terms of experience and demonstrates some academic maturity. I might be wrong but I believe that a second bachelors would be the way to go. Good luck!

I agree you are probably not competitive to apply now (your grades are too low).  You would need at least a few more years of another undergrad.

As someone in neurology I would also STRONGLY suggest you don't bother if your intention is to stay in research.  Becoming a neurologist will take 8-9 years of often brutal time demanding training and that's once you start med school so you are prob looking at maybe 10-11 years, theres just no way it would be worth it if you want to stay in research.  I would only recommend if you want to do clinical work.

Edit: in case its not clear from above, GPA is the most major part of a med school app, and they only consider undergrad GPA (aside from some rare pretty minor details--graduate GPA almost never helps).  Everything you've done after undergrad is great, but will help minimally to not at all on a med school app.  

Many schools use weighting in their undergrad GPA calculation as long as you did full course-load.   Examples:  Western (best 2 years), Queens (last 2), Ottawa (last 3 weighted), Toronto (drops 10 grades over the 5 years). Convert your individual grades to GPA and then calc your yearly GPAs.  Test them against each schools weighting method.  A +3.85 wGPA could be enough to be competitive. 

Your Masters work does not help your GPA , but it does give you leg up in being in Graduate pools and you bring in super ECs in research with publications.   

If your wGPA is reasonable,  study and write the MCAT this summer and give applications a go.

Your master’s degree grades do actually count at some schools (e.g. ubc, calgary, alberta). It’s not a lot of credits so it rarely makes a huge difference to your GPA, but if the school also weights your undergrad grades or drops a year, then overall it can mean an increase of several % points. And that can be the difference between getting an interview (and eventually getting in) or not.

If you decided you were determined to go, I certainly think it’s possible with your stats. I know several people, myself included, who were admitted with undergrad GPAs below 80% (edit: although many with subsequent MScs with higher GPAs). But you may need to really strengthen the non-academic and extra curricular parts of your application in order to be realistically competitive. The scoring systems across Canada actually vary quite a bit. Some schools care a lot more about GPA than others, and similarly some care a lot more about non-academic aspects of the application. For schools outside Ontario, moving to make yourself an in-province applicant can also make a huge difference in the GPA you need to get admitted.

• 8 months later...
On 1/22/2018 at 6:53 PM, frenchpress said:

Your master’s degree grades do actually count at some schools (e.g. ubc, calgary, alberta). It’s not a lot of credits so it rarely makes a huge difference to your GPA, but if the school also weights your undergrad grades or drops a year, then overall it can mean an increase of several % points. And that can be the difference between getting an interview (and eventually getting in) or not.

If you decided you were determined to go, I certainly think it’s possible with your stats. I know several people, myself included, who were admitted with undergrad GPAs below 80% (edit: although many with subsequent MScs with higher GPAs). But you may need to really strengthen the non-academic and extra curricular parts of your application in order to be realistically competitive. The scoring systems across Canada actually vary quite a bit. Some schools care a lot more about GPA than others, and similarly some care a lot more about non-academic aspects of the application. For schools outside Ontario, moving to make yourself an in-province applicant can also make a huge difference in the GPA you need to get admitted.

What school did you get admitted to with a GPA below 80%? Did you have a Masters degree too?

On 1/22/2018 at 2:28 PM, Endogenous_ said:

I am looking to get some external perspective on how competitive my application would be for medical school, and if it is worth a shot.  I've done some serious thinking on future career paths...thoughts?  My aim would be to progress into neurology specialization with a combination of practice and research (more-so research)

Undergraduate:

BSc Honours Psychology, Minor Neuroscience

• Year 1: ~70%
  • Year 2: ~76%
  • Year 3: ~78%
  • Year 4: ~82%
  • Year 5: ~88%
  • Overall: ~78-79.4%

Masters:

MSc Neuroscience

GPA: 88%

Post-Graduate Diploma:

Clinical Trials Management, Western University Continuing Studies (9 courses + Practicum)

GPA: 89%

Research Experience

• 1 published first author
  • 2 published co-author
  • 1 first author in progress
  • 1 co-author in progress

Work Experience

• Research Assistant (Currently Hired; Nephrology)
    • Coordinate cluster randomized clinical trials
  • Research Intern (Oncology)
    • 400 hours

Any updates? :) did you go back for any undergrad courses or did you apply for med school?

7 hours ago, scrubbed0ut said:

What school did you get admitted to with a GPA below 80%? Did you have a Masters degree too?

UBC. I did have an MSc, and my GPA was high. My undergrad GPA worked out to ~79% when all my grades were converted. But because UBC includes MSc grades and drops your worst year, I think it probably bumped my adjusted GPA to around 82%. I'm sure those few points made a huge difference to my chances. 

On 10/22/2018 at 3:24 PM, frenchpress said:

UBC. I did have an MSc, and my GPA was high. My undergrad GPA worked out to ~79% when all my grades were converted. But because UBC includes MSc grades and drops your worst year, I think it probably bumped my adjusted GPA to around 82%. I'm sure those few points made a huge difference to my chances. 

Are you OOP ??

Archived