Premed 101 Forums

Stockings + Dress for Interview

Hi guys

For a couple of my upcoming interviews, I'm wearing a dress and stockings instead of my usual suit. I have back up stockings and clear nail polish but wondering what to do if my stockings rip in an instance where I can't change them (i.e. talking to faculty before interview; right before or during my interview; etc). I know the easiest answer is to wear the suit but I tend to have a nervous stomach and bloating and the pants that normally fit end up becoming uncomfortably tight and distracting.

If anybody has been in this situation before or has any advice, that would be great. I'm of course not going to call any attention to it if I notice a run or something, but wondering about worst case scenario (i.e. stand up at end of interview, shake ends, walk out and turns out the freaking stockings have ripped down the calf or something)

Thanks

Carry an extra pair as you mentioned?

Don't wear stockings?

Don't worry about it?

Buy new pants?

Have your pants adjusted by a tailor?

Ask everyone else to leave the room first so they can't see the stocking rip while you exit?

Insist on a phone interview?

Wear scrubs?

I don't think anyone would deny someone a residency spot over a barely noticeable wardrobe imperfection. 

Heaven forbid someone have any dirt/grime from outside on their dress shoes in the dead of winter as they head into their interview. See what I mean?

--

Just focus on being a normal human being with a personality outside of medicine and a cohesive narrative detailing your decision to pursue medicine/your speciality of interest. Have your typical interview question blurbs prepared and expect to think on the spot. Most importantly, relax.

Basic hygiene and a choice of garments appropriate to the setting are all that is required. As long as you meet that, no one really cares.

Best of luck!

I thought about skipping the stockings entirely but heard that they were expected? 

I thought about calling ahead and stating that to avoid any potential wardrobe malfunctions, it would be best to just give me the benefit of the doubt and accept me into the program without the hassle of an interview. /joke

I also carry clear nail polish if my nylons run, and I buy run-resistant ones. Just try to avoid wearing anything that might accidentally catch them and be mindful in how you move about  

Honestly, though, if it happens, it happens and you will probably notice way more than anyone else would. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2018 at 9:09 PM, Birdy said:

I also carry clear nail polish if my nylons run, and I buy run-resistant ones. Just try to avoid wearing anything that might accidentally catch them and be mindful in how you move about  

Honestly, though, if it happens, it happens and you will probably notice way more than anyone else would. 

That's a great idea. I also spray  hair spray on my nylons after wearing them :)!! I never had a nylon rip when I put hair spray on it and this has been the case for the last 5 years, but I am also very cautious when I wear nylons:). Also buy one size up/ taller ones :).

Archived