Premed 101 Forums

Need advice: 5th yr or grad?

I've just finished 4th year and unfortunately did not make it into any med schools. I would really appreciate some outside advice on what to do next. Currently, I am accepted for a MSc program (research/thesis), but I'm considering doing a 5th year instead. This is because I flubbed my 4th year (GPA: 3.78). 3rd year GPA: 3.92, 2nd year GPA: 3.8, 1st year GPA: 3.88. I'm located in Ontario.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks. 

Edit: MCAT: 130/129/130/131 (CPFBS/CARS/bio/psych)

Second the 5th year, you're very likely going to get another Western interview next year anyways, but a higher GPA will make you more competitive everywhere else too :) You look like you've generally been able to do well in school  - was it just one bad course in 4th year? If you're considering Queens, I think they look at your last 2 years, so maybe think about whether or not you think you can top the 3.92 you currently have. And congrats on the MCAT - definitely apply to Manitoba and Saskatchewan! 

59 minutes ago, AriH said:

Second the 5th year, you're very likely going to get another Western interview next year anyways, but a higher GPA will make you more competitive everywhere else too :) You look like you've generally been able to do well in school  - was it just one bad course in 4th year? If you're considering Queens, I think they look at your last 2 years, so maybe think about whether or not you think you can top the 3.92 you currently have. And congrats on the MCAT - definitely apply to Manitoba and Saskatchewan! 

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I had a bad course that dragged everything down; I have a feeling I'd still be okay for UofT after dropping my worst marks. Would you say I still have a chance with my current grades, or I should definitely buff them? I got a Western interview this year but I didn't do well on it.

1 hour ago, plastics91 said:

5th year. Masters won't make your 4th year go away but 5th could help. Your chances and stats are not bad for Canada, especially western provinces. I know people with your stats get interview offers and get in

Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm in Ontario so I still have to be significantly more competitive for western provinces. 

3 minutes ago, gahlife said:

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I had a bad course that dragged everything down; I have a feeling I'd still be okay for UofT after dropping my worst marks. Would you say I still have a chance with my current grades, or I should definitely buff them? I got a Western interview this year but I didn't do well on it.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm in Ontario so I still have to be significantly more competitive for western provinces. 

I am aware of that as you mentioned it in your original post. I meant you are still competitive as an OOP applying to western provinces :). Do the 5th year, get 4.0, reapply very broadly (all programs you can to) and you will most likely land at least one of them!

3 hours ago, gahlife said:

What's your weighted GPA for UofT? I know many applicants with 3.98+ who got rejected pre-interview, so your chances at UofT probabb depends more on your essays, ABS,  reference letters (although academics make up a large part too, I forget the exact percentage).

I can't speak to your ECs but GPA-wise,  I don't think you'd be ruled out of any school except perhaps Ottawa due to high GPA requirements. But if you can, I think it's better to take a 5th year to make yourself more competitive anyways :) 

Archived