Premed 101 Forums

Really lost and need some advice. Please help!!

Hello, this is my first post, and I am sorry if there is too much extra info. 

Please give me some advice on what should I do to best get back on the path to Medical school.

I just finished my second year Biomedical sciences at a university away from home because of a full scholarship that was offered.  But, circumstances that are really out of my control affected my academics, and my gpa is suffering and I am very worried. First year: Fall 3.67 and Winter 3.58, Summer 4.00, Second year: Fall 3.53 and Winter 2.78 and overall cGPA is 3.52. I know it does not matter now, but I had mid to high 90s in all 4Us in high school. There was also some difficulty with taking full course load there because of certain policy of the scholarship. I was not familiar with medical school rules here in Canada at that time. I should have researched more and reached out to more people .

Anyways, I am pretty sure I can boost my gpa  as almost all of the circumstances that affected my gpa were really out of my control. I am really not a C+ student:(:(.  

Now I am thinking about transferring to UWaterloo (near home), and might get offer for Biomedical sciences or Health studies- pre clinical specialization. What I am worried about transferring is how will med schools look at the certain courses if Waterloo will not give me transfer credits such as Biochem course (I got C+). Would I be penalized if I have to repeat those courses? Is it a good idea to transfer and do really best in two/ three years at new place and then get amazing MCAT? or should I just get myself together and do best for last 2 years at the current university? Would transferring complicate things? 

I have some ECs though, but I am not sure how good they are. I did tutoring for about 4 years , medical interpreter in Asia for 1 year (full time) , language supply teacher and volunteer for about 3 years now. I also was main speaker at a high-profile event at university, and also have a human rights kinda publication. Should I improve on my clinical-wise ECs or research? 

I really don't want to give up my dream. My aim is to get into McMaster as it is closest to my home, and I have family responsibilities too.

I am sorry for such a long post. Truly appreciate everyone for reading this, and all the help and advice. 

Welcome to the Forum!

As you now realize, h.s.grades are not indicative of how you will do at university. You may wish to postpone your graduation for a year or two so as to boost your GPA. I cannot answer you as to your question as to repeating a given course. In achieving med school acceptance, you do not have a clue as to when and where lightning will strike and accordingly, you will need to apply widely. Clinical ECs or research are not required, rather you wish to demonstrate CanMEDS competencies in your work, ECs & volunteering experiences, you want to demonstrate your are an active, contributing member to your community and have shown some compassion and empathy in your volunteering. Do whatever interests you. This is a marathon and not a sprint, so taking extra time in undergrad may prove to be the shortest route, not the longest.

MAC is a tough target as it uses cumulative cGPA only where other schools have different weighted approach like last 2 / last 3 / best 2 / or drop some courses.  You do need to plan to apply widely to all schools you can be competitive for.   Don't do things that would exclude you from applying.

Its going to be about how you can recover your GPA over the next 2 years.  If you can do that in your current program, stay there.  If you need to move for your best chance to perform, then do that.  As Bambi noted, you may need to extend to a 5th year or so to be competitive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Meridian,

Thank you for your advice. I literally needed someone to said that to me to clear my dilemma. I will keep in mind your advice to not do anything that will limit me from applying other med schools.

On 5/29/2018 at 10:22 AM, Meridian said:

MAC is a tough target as it uses cumulative cGPA only where other schools have different weighted approach like last 2 / last 3 / best 2 / or drop some courses.  You do need to plan to apply widely to all schools you can be competitive for.   Don't do things that would exclude you from applying.

Its going to be about how you can recover your GPA over the next 2 years.  If you can do that in your current program, stay there.  If you need to move for your best chance to perform, then do that.  As Bambi noted, you may need to extend to a 5th year or so to be competitive.

On 5/29/2018 at 3:21 AM, Bambi said:

Welcome to the Forum!

As you now realize, h.s.grades are not indicative of how you will do at university. You may wish to postpone your graduation for a year or two so as to boost your GPA. I cannot answer you as to your question as to repeating a given course. In achieving med school acceptance, you do not have a clue as to when and where lightning will strike and accordingly, you will need to apply widely. Clinical ECs or research are not required, rather you wish to demonstrate CanMEDS competencies in your work, ECs & volunteering experiences, you want to demonstrate your are an active, contributing member to your community and have shown some compassion and empathy in your volunteering. Do whatever interests you. This is a marathon and not a sprint, so taking extra time in undergrad may prove to be the shortest route, not the longest.

Hi Bambi, 

I don't mind doing an extra year in undergrad. I just want to boost my gpa so I will do an extra year and make myself competitive during this time. I am now choosing between my acceptance from biological science of Guelph,  Life science from Waterloo and Health studies of Waterloo. 

Thanks a lot for your advice again!

Archived