Premed 101 Forums

Poor First Year

fatal

Hey guys

So I just finished my first year and I didn't have a good first year. My first year gpa was a 7.9 on the 12 scale (which is a high B-, close to a B) with my first semester average being a 7 and my second being an 8.9. I was a very weak math and physics student so those really brought down my average, but overall I don't think I had good study habits first semester or a good grip of school in general. I started to improve second semester but the courses I had to take really brought down my average. I did summer school organic chemistry hoping my study habits would be better but I finished with a B in the first one and a C in the second. I'm not sure what my chances are at a medical school, my only saving grace is that I've been doing medical research all year and I have a good EC portfolio. My courses for next year are much more appealing to me and are of my stronger disciplines, so I'm really going to try hard to get close to an A average for the next 3 years but I can't guarantee anything. Anyone been in a similar situation?

Hey guys

So I just finished my first year and I didn't have a good first year. My first year gpa was a 7.9 on the 12 scale (which is a high B-, close to a B) with my first semester average being a 7 and my second being an 8.9. I was a very weak math and physics student so those really brought down my average, but overall I don't think I had good study habits first semester or a good grip of school in general. I started to improve second semester but the courses I had to take really brought down my average. I did summer school organic chemistry hoping my study habits would be better but I finished with a B in the first one and a C in the second. I'm not sure what my chances are at a medical school, my only saving grace is that I've been doing medical research all year and I have a good EC portfolio. My courses for next year are much more appealing to me and are of my stronger disciplines, so I'm really going to try hard to get close to an A average for the next 3 years but I can't guarantee anything. Anyone been in a similar situation?

My gf goes to UofT med and her first year GPA was a 3.1. But keep in mind she picked it up after 1st year (close to 4.0 every year after) and plus UofT drops your lowest 10 courses as long as you took a FCL each year. So it's possible with different formulas every school uses like Ottawa looking at your recent 3 years in a weighted formula, Queens looking at last 2 years and western looking at your best 2 years.

Hey guys

I think this is the case for many people. It should not stop you from getting into medicine if you can pick it up from this point onward, especially in ON schools as the poster above mentioned. 

Archived