Premed 101 Forums

med class

Guest goku

Guest goku

thanks to all the moderators for your help. I was wondering from experience, how is the med class? is it a close knit class or do you find that there's a lot of competition? also, what activities does the class get involved with? any intramurals hockey or any other sports?

Guest kosmo14

I think for the most part the class is fairly closeknit. The majority of us get along fairly well. I have enjoyed this past year, and have developed a lot of real good friends. As far as competition, I don't think we are overly competitive. Even if there is a number of people wanting good grades (who doesn't?) we have managed to help each other out a lot (ie: many people have made summaries of notes and put it on our class website).

One of the things I found very beneficial was participating in a number of intramural sports. I played on the Med I soccer and football team. There is also the Med hockey team, volleyball (I think), and if you are so inclined the knitting club (not quite up my alley, but if you like that thing I have heard some people talk quite positively about it). There is also Icebowl. This is a hockey competition amoung the Western Canadian Med schools. A good thing for your class is that it is happening in Saskatoon this fall, and therefore much easier to get to. I encourage you to play, even if you don't play hockey as there is a non competitive division.

I like U of S med because with only 60 people in each year it is very easy to get to know your classmates real well, and even some of the other years pretty well. Although that Rod guy in third year is a little strange :lol (just jokes Rod).

You will have a lot of fun next year if you choose to, especially during orientation week (I am sure we have some nice plans up our sleeves for you guys).

Guest saskmedman

Of course, there's always one or two super-competitive types in every year who go as far as to try and sabotage the rest of the class by witholding old exams, etc. But they don't accomplish much more than providing hillarious entertainment for the rest of us. I feel extremely lucky in that I feel quite close to many people in my class. I think when a group of people are all thrown into a scary situation like medical school, it forces them to build strong bonds faster. Kinda like when coal miners get trapped underground. (What is wrong with me?) Kosmo was right, by the way, in his little remark about me. I'm not ashamed. I'm weird and damn proud of it!

Goku, you're gonna love this College. I wish I could start all over from the beginning and live it all over again. Have a great time and I'll be seeing you on your first day of orientation.

Rod

Guest kosmo14

I actually don't think you are weird at all, I am just disappointed that after a year of hard work I still can't beat any of you guys at foosball. Heres hoping the new first year class is terrible so that I can boost my ego.

Guest goku

thanks. it's gonna be a big change going to school here and it's nice to hear that you've all got great things to say about school life!

Guest saskmedman

Kosmo,

You just don't know me well enough! Just kidding. Everyone is a little weird I guess. Don't worry about the "fooseball". Just being in second year makes you a much better foose player. I never won any games in first year either. Goku, what are you bringing to the foose side of our College?

Rod

Archived