Premed 101 Forums

need your thoughts please!!!!!!!!!!

Guest osindy

Guest osindy

okay so here's my situation. Its a bit messed up but please let me know what your thoughts are.

I just graduated with a commerce degree from McGill. It was during my final year that I decided that I really wanted to go to med school. However, I have some problems. First of all I don't have any of the prerequisites only the junior inorganic chem, so I have to take them all this coming few years. I also have a problem with the full year requirement. I was taking two concentrations at McGill and they were in accounting and finance so I really didn't have much free time and didn't take full classes ever. So, I have to go to school for the next two years. I've never gone to school in saskatchewan since I grew up in Montreal and my parents moved there when I was in Cegep. It seems like a really good school and like it will be the easiest place for me to get into as a resident other than Quebec.

So I need to know what to do. What kind of grades do I need at U of S to be competitive for their med school as a resident? What classes should I take as easy gpa helping electives? What science majors are "easier" (I heard biochem)? Just what general things do you guys think I need to know and do. Basically I guess you should think of me as someone who is coming into college for the first time and wants to get into med school after her second year of undergrad. Please help!

Guest kosmo14

I can't tell you what to take because one persons idea of a difficult subject is anothers idea of an easy one. I would personally find something you are interested in. If you are interested in it then chances are you will find it easier than a subject you hate. If you go to the medschool website it will tell you what classes you have to take. You will see that about half of your classes are choosen for you the other half you need to pick for yourself (at least for the first two years). As far grades the average entering average is usually around 86-87%, so if you are around there you should be fine.

I think it all comes down to the amount of work and effort you put into your classes. You get out what you put in.

One other thing to consider is residency. I believe you need three years in the province to be considered a resident. If your parents moved here then that may change things, but I would check it out.

Archived