Premed 101 Forums

How does acceptance work?

Guest Spicy Aam

Guest Spicy Aam

Hi all,

I know it is a bit early to ask, but I was just wondering how it works for OOP's if, and once, they receive an acceptance. Do they have to accept by a certain date, otherwise they are declined the position? I ask, b/c it seems kind of early when UofS lets their OOP applicants know (end of April), compared to other schools. Do you have to place a deposit for a conditional acceptance? By what date do you have to decide (based on previous years)?

Thanks everyone,

Spicy

hey

from what i remember, you have to respond by a certain date or else they start to move to the wait list - even if they don't hear from you... (i dont' remember the time frame, it was a week i think.) and you have to place a deposit of 200 bucks.

My letter was dated June 19th last year, and it said that the admission committee met on June 17th (so I suspect the committee will meet about the same time this year). I don't beleive OOP applicants get their acceptances any earlier than in province students. I had to confirm in writing (or in person and send $200 by June 27th. They also ask that you call them when you get the letter, so they know that you have recieved it. Oh and you will also have to send them a copy of your standard first aid. Hope this helps.

Guest Spicy Aam

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your responses. I am wondering about this because on their website, under "list of dates", they have April 30th as the date for written notification of admission, rejection, waitlist for OOP's. I think schools in Ont let you know by May 30. I'm not quite sure how this will work..... But I know that it is still early and I shouldn't be concerned about this as of yet. Thanks,

Spicy

I believe this is the first year of the early acceptances for oop. I talked to admissions a long time back about why all oop had to have all the pre-reqs done before christmas. From what I remember about the conversation, it had to do with them starting to give oop offers early this time. I don't remember all the details.

Guest kels80

What if you get early admission to Sask for e.g. [or ANY med school, for that matter], but still have interviews elsewhere - could you accept the offer, still do the other interviews, and at a later date tell the original school you no longer want to be in their sept. class, if you get another acceptance somewhere that you like more? Or would you even be considered by other schools once you accept an admissions offer elsewhere?

I'm unclear on this aspect of admissions... Any insight would be greatly appreciated

I see, I did not realize they changed things for OOPs this year. With respect to kels80's questions. I'm pretty certain that the medical schools don't talk with respect to admissions. If you get an early admission anywhere, you are still welcome to interview anywhere else. By paying the deposit, you are holding onto your spot in the class for next year, if you decide to decline your admission at a later date, you forfit your deposit. Students often hold onto a spot at one school, while waiting for replies from other schools.

Archived