Premed 101 Forums

Style of interview

Guest Spicy Aam

Guest Spicy Aam

Hey guys,

Just had a question regarding the style, types of questions, types of interviewers, and method of assessment for the interview at U of S. I am interested in knowing how the process works, as I'm a first time interviewee. Thanks in advance for any knowledge!

Spicy

IT is a 4 pannel interview, closed file (they only know your name).

It is a really laid back interview (usually); no ethics question, nothing on any controversial issues. Current events have usually be kept to a minimum....with a 'pick on international, national, local' issue and talk about it. But this isnt always the case.

Basically, a laid back interview that is focused on you as the applicant. THey want to know that you have researched the career, and have the communication skills/thought pattern to be a doc.

Guest kosmo14

You are interviewed by four people at once over 45 min. The four people are: 1 med student, 1 practicing physician, 1 prof. (basic science or clinical), and one community member. For the most part the interview is pretty relaxed, they just try to get to know you. Some interviewers will challenge your answers but they aren't very aggresive. As far as questions, best bet would be to go to http://www.cfms.org and click on the pre-med section, then go under interview feedback. I believe there is about 15 for UofS and that should give you a good idea about the questions.

Just remember that 45 min goes very quick, so use your time wisely. You can control what you talk about, so talk about something you want to, something you are proud of, or something that interests you. Many people ask "How exactly do I control the interview?" My answer is use every opportunity that they give you to talk about what you want. ie./ Inevitably you will get some form of "Tell me about yourself" use that to focus on stuff you want to talk about, don't talk about stuff that you think may be weaknesses. They usually ask you about stuff you mention in your initial spiel about yourself. I would also be very up to date on current events (locally, provincially, nationally, and internationally) as they like to talk current events. Many times they will ask you to name a local/provincial/national/international current event you are interested in. Once again use this to talk about something you want to or know a lot about. If you know nothing about the reasons why the mayor of Saskatoon was named the craziest mayor in Canada, don't mention it, or you will look dumb. On the other hand if you know a lot about the "big" federal liberal scandal then it would be something you might want to bring up.

Don't get too worked up about the interview. Try not to get too stressed, I know harder said than done. The interview is actually more of a conversation than an interview, and isn't nearly as bad as you think it is. You will walk out and say "Wow, that really wasn't that bad".

As far as assessment goes each interviewer rates you on a scale of 6 for a total of 24 marks. If you got three 6's and one 4 then your total would be 22/24, a really good mark. Generally the average interview score for those accepted is 20/24. You must get at least 16/24 for your app. to move on to the admissions committee. If you get at least 16/24 you will get a letter in the mail in late april early may that will say you have passed the interview and your application will be reviewed by the admissions committee. To be accepted they then take you mark out of 24 and convert it to 25% of your overall admissions score, add it to your academic average portion (worth 75% of your admissions score) then they put it together on a rank list and accept people based on that list.

If you don't make 16/24 on the interview you will get a letter in late April early May saying that you have not passed the interview and your application will not be considered for admission this year.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Guest Spicy Aam

Thank you Nonce and Kosmo14 for your informative and quick responses!

In terms of reference letters, the UofS seems to only want academic related references (ie. not community referees). I get this impression because on the forms, where it states the association to the applicant, there are only teachers, professors, and supervisors indicated (along with an "other"). Can this be interpretted that academic referees are preferred? I'm just trying to make my choices for referees. I have a research supervisor and an undergrad english professor, but am unsure of the third. I have an equally good highschool teacher and volunteer supervisor to pick from. Any insight?

Thanks so much!

Spicy

hi spicy aam

i don't remember what it says on the reference letters but in my opinion, i don't think that it would such a bad idea to have a referee that is a volunteer supervisor. it shows that you have interest outside just the academic field. Hopefully, your undergrad prof and research supervisor can talk about your great academic qualities, and then your community referee can talk about different qualities that might not come up with your academic referees. Looking at it overall, I would say just to find the best person to write you references, not necessarily the position that they hold.

And looking back at when I applied, I did have a community reference as well, :P

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions....

Archived