Premed 101 Forums

Pre-requisites

Guest klukyboy

Guest klukyboy

I have a question about U of S's application rules. Here's the good side of my application:

- I'm a resident under the 15 year rule

- The past two years I've been taking pre-req's at U of C and U of A. (Did engineering at U of R years ago, and would have moved back to Sask, but I didn't want to give up my dual residency status)

- My two year GPA is in the high 80's - low 90's depending on how you calculate it, same with the pre-req average.

- I'm a "mature student"

- My MCAT was a 38P

BUT, I won't have two biochem courses done until April. I actually moved to Edmonton this year specifically to meet Sask's full year biochem requirement (scheduling in Calgary made it impossible to complete before August 2004). Unfortunately, I'm a resident attending an out of province institution so I'm required to be done my pre-reqs by the end of December. I knew this requirement existed for non-residents, but I think the clarification extending it residents was published this year after I decided to move. Under these circumstances is it worth applying, or will I likely get cut in the first pass?

Guest RageoftheDragon

You have alot stacking in your favor. Call the admissions office, explain your situation, and I think you will find them quite willing to help you out as best as possible.

RotD

yes rageoftedragon, I believe this rule extends to residents as well now. I am in the same kind of situation but in Ontario now and working while taking courses through DE. I called an admissions counsellor the other day and she said they don't make any exceptions for missing prereqs. However, you should definitely give them a call and ask if they would make an exception about delaying the completion of your course to be the same as residents taking courses within Sask.

Please keep us posted as to developments though so I know how to proceed also and good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest klukyboy

Just an update - after explaining my situation, the kind people over in admissions gave me an extension to the end of April to complete my prereqs. :D I just need to get my profs to forward my grades directly rather than waiting for "official" grades from the registrar's office.

Archived