Premed 101 Forums

Need some advice please =)

Guest mmak

Hi y'all,

I'm a chem student going in my third year and my best two year average is 90.1%.

I have written the MCAT and got 7/8/10/R.

I'd like to apply to U of S, but I haven't taken english yet. If I do take it, it would have to be on top of the 5 courses Im taking right now (since they're compulsory).

Do I have a chance of getting into U of S? If so, do you think I should go ahead and face a gruelling third year taking English on top of a full course load?

m mak

Guest Ian Wong

The most important question to answer first is: are you considered in-province, or out-of-province? If OOP, then your odds get quite significantly worse.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest doctorbones

The last I checked most Universities require English to graduate and most medical schools have it as a prerequisite. For the U of Sask, English is a prerequisite. If you took it on top of your full course load it would mean extra work but, judging by your grades, you could probably handle it. Of course, only you could truly know this and also, look into just how difficult a course English is at your particular University. So, if you are in-province and would like to apply right away, take the course. If you are OOP, you're still competitive because I'm pretty sure they do not factor your MCATs into your final rank. I guess it all comes down to whether or not you are in a rush to get in, or would rather take your time and smell the roses.

Well,

I'm an OOP applicant in Ontario...my only worry is that U of Sask may change their Mcat requirement next year....but I heard that if you had the qualifications for U of Sask as an OOP, then you have a fairly good shot at matriculation...is this true?

Cheers

mmak.

Guest kosmo14

I know the MCAT requirement is 8 in each section with one 7 allowed and an N in the writing sample. These requirements are for the 2003-2004 entering class (ie next years entering class), and therefore shouldn't change since they are already placed in all of the literature. Therefore you do meet the MCAT requirement for next years application, and by the looks of your average you have a decent shot of getting an interview. It seems they interview about 30 OOP every year and out of those 6 OOP are admitted, obviously many don't accept thier offers, therefore if you pass the interview you have a pretty good shot at getting in. The only note I would like to add is that since the MCAT requirements dropped a bit for next year it is likely that there will be quite a few more applicants, and therefore being offered an interview may be a bit more difficult than in the past. That being said, I would say apply and good luck.

Sorry but what I meant was for 2004-2005 they would change it, which would mean I have to take it again! :o

How often does U sask change their requirements?

Guest kosmo14

I am not too sure if they will change it for then. I know they brought in the MCAT for the 1999-2000 class and had the requirement of 8 across the board up until the 2003-2004 class. I imagine they would give it a couple of years before they made any more changes, but you never know. They usually bring out the requirements for the next years applicants in March giving you enough time to rewrite the MCAT if they changed.

You mean for this year, they "lowered" the MCAT requirement by allowing one 7? Thats odd...cause one would assume that admission is getting more competitive, thus,mcat requirements should go higher?

Guest kosmo14

Yes, up until now (application for 2003-2004) they did not allow that one 7 on your MCAT. I thought the same, but I guess they felt they were not getting enough applicants from in province. I know an large number of people that got high marks in both the science sections, but only a 7 in Verbal and that disqualified them, so I guess this will now allow them to apply (I certainly know some of them would make very good doctors, but just had a bad test). By allowing the 7 it should allow them to interview the 3 people for every position (as it says in the calander). Last year I believe they were only able to interview about 2 for every position due to the low number of in province applicants, due to many not making the MCAT requirements. Some of the reasons I believe that so few Sask. residents are applying (ie: making the MCAT requirements) are: 1) Small population, obviously less writing the exam, therefore less making the cutoffs 2) Many write it after just thier first year of University, since U of S allows you to apply after only two years.

Archived