Premed 101 Forums

Chance?

Guest Jake

Guest Jake

Hey all,

Everyone here is so helpful and i wanna say thanx to all u peeps who helped me out before. I have another question, my UofT adjusted GPA is only a 3.66. should i even bother applying?

thanks in advance

Jake

Guest studentz

Why not? You're above the cut-off, though it's a bit low compared to the mean.

All you have to lose is a bit of money, so if that's not a concern, go for it. Plus, UofT puts a lot of weight on non-academic factors. You'll always wonder "what if" if you don't.

Guest skofu

I could be wrong about this, but I think the 3.6 cutoff *might* be for cGPA and not wGPA. it doesn't specify on the current facmed website, but I think on the old site it said that.

hopefully it's wGPA, in which case I agree with studentz, there's no point in not applying. make sure you get stellar refs from different experiences and write a killer, personal, engaging essay using specific examples from your life experience.

s.

Guest studentz

It is wGPA (UofT's converted GPA).

Skofu's right about the reference letters, make sure you aske referees if they will write a strong letter for you and make sure to get people who will write about different aspects of your life eg. classwork, extra-curriculars, character, research ...

Guest skofu

I stand corrected...

I actually specifically used the word outstanding when I asked my refs for letters... It seems to have to worked out okay.

Guest pinkgal

My GPA was only 3.62 and I was interviewed this year. My resume is full of extracuriculars, student committees, good job experiences etc., and I have good references. Don't let a GPA on the low side stop you from applying. As long as you meet the minimum, go for it!

Guest 0nsp

Yeah, dude, yuo have a solid chance. Your GPA isn't outstanding, but that can easily be made up for with good ECs, refs and essay, as the above posters have stated. I don't know what my UofT wGPA is, but i had 3.79 (1st year; only 9 credits), 3.82 (2nd year) and 3.54 (3rd year), so it come out to about 3.68, and I still got an interview at UofT. If that's where you want to be, don't let it stop you!

Guest pinkgal

Not sure what the weighted GPA was, but I had a 3.62ish average every semester of university from first to last.

Archived