Premed 101 Forums

McGill CV

capri95

Hey Guys!

currently writing my mcgill CV (probably like most of us reading this forum), and had a question regarding the formatting. Should we be writing every nitty-gritty volunteering/awards/jobs we've done since CEGEP, or should we just be writing memorable/important things? I seem to have enough for 2 pages, but only have 3 jobs written down, 4 volunteer experiences,  a couple of research positions and extracurriculars.. I could probably add more (those volunteer gigs you do for one day for example), but I find them a waste of space.. 

Would love some advice

Thanks a lot 

You seem to have answered your own question! 

If it helps, I recommend combining the less striking experiences into one entry. That way you get a lot more in but without wasting valuable space. You can format the combined entries as you like, write in all the dates and a general heading, and then put in one line or bullet point for each experience.

Hope this helps!

Best of luck!

8 hours ago, mitmtl said:

I was just concerned that it may not seem professional for adcom, since I wouldn’t combine two items on a real cv.

I would put them under different entries. I have several similar volunteering experiences, but I have put them all under separate entries. Note that I have had to remove a bunch of things though (which was tough because I did find them valuable and very much wanted to keep them on my CV)! I received an interview last year, so will not be changing things up too much. My two cents :) Do what you're most comfortable with!

19 minutes ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

I would put them under different entries. I have several similar volunteering experiences, but I have put them all under separate entries. Note that I have had to remove a bunch of things though (which was tough because I did find them valuable and very much wanted to keep them on my CV)! I received an interview last year, so will not be changing things up too much. My two cents :) Do what you're most comfortable with!

did you change the cell margins of the tables? not the actual page but cells (like make the description cell bigger)

On 10/30/2018 at 12:47 AM, dentdreams101 said:

did you change the cell margins of the tables? not the actual page but cells (like make the description cell bigger)

I used the template as is. Only removed the samples and added my own entries. Did not change the margins whatsoever. Would recommend you to not do it either - I think they will be strict with that. 

Instead, try to get to the point in your entries. You can squeeze in more than you think if you are succinct and to the point. Good luck! :) 

Archived