Premed 101 Forums

OT

Guest ttryit

Guest ttryit

So I was looking around the U of T website and people refer to their class as OT7, OT8..etc.

Does this mean "Of Two Thousand Seven", "Of Two Thousand 8", etc. or is it something else?

tt

Guest ttryit

So it's 0T8? so 200Toronto8? What will the class of 2015 be? (0T15?). What was the class of 1998? (9T98?).

Just curious...tt

Guest uteng

It made more sense when it was the class of 98, 9T8 get it?

2015 would be 1T5. One of the oddities of Toronto.

I was on campus a full week before it hit me - no one really explains it to you and just assume you know (like the postings on this board). At first I thought it was level of education like PGY-1, or OT1 was first year occupational therapy, but then I saw OT7 - so it was either a really long program or it had another meaning. :)

Guest ttryit

Oh OK...got it! Thanks for the clarification uteng.

Also, does the eng stand for english or engineering?

tt

Guest Steve U of T

It's an antiquated tradition that won't really make sense again for another few decades. No clue when it started, but for the 40s through the 90s, pronouncing the abbreviation would simply sound like the year (with some exceptions). E.g. 9T7 = Nine-T-Seven = (class of) Ninety seven, or 4T3 = Four-T-three = (class of) Forty three

Guest 0T6

Someone called? ;)

eng is for engineering, the superstar engineers that are in engineering science use greek symbols though (sci = psi)

Archived