Premed 101 Forums

Are Ontario medical school acceptances conditional? If so, what is the condition?

striders02

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if, post-acceptance, students must maintain certain minimum marks in their fourth year of undergraduate to actually retain their acceptance and go to medical school. If so, does anyone know what the terms of that conditional acceptance are? A friend mentioned that you have to get 80+ in all fourth courses, does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks so much! 

7 minutes ago, striders02 said:

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if, post-acceptance, students must maintain certain minimum marks in their fourth year of undergraduate to actually retain their acceptance and go to medical school. If so, does anyone know what the terms of that conditional acceptance are? A friend mentioned that you have to get 80+ in all fourth courses, does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks so much! 

School dependent. Western requires you to maintain at least a 3.7 GPA in your current year if you only had 1 year previously eligible. Ottawa requires you to maintain the cut-off GPA for your current year, so 3.85 for Ontario and 3.87 for OOP. So if you’re applying to all Ontario schools, I suggest you use the Ottawa cut-off GPA  as your measuring stick for your final year.

Thanks so much, I appreciate all the info!

Just to confirm, it looks like those school-specific cutoffs generally look at the year's GPA, rather than course-specific GPAs, is that correct? So for instance if a student gets a 3.7 in one course (0.5 credits) and 4.0 in all nine other courses (4.5 credits, making their yearly average >3.85) they would still meet the Ottawa cutoff?

Edit: adding an @CardiacArrhythmia, just b/c I'm not sure if you get a notification otherwise :)

8 minutes ago, striders02 said:

Thanks so much, I appreciate all the info!

Just to confirm, it looks like those school-specific cutoffs generally look at the year's GPA, rather than course-specific GPAs, is that correct? So for instance if a student gets a 3.7 in one course (0.5 credits) and 4.0 in all nine other courses (4.5 credits, making their yearly average >3.85) they would still meet the Ottawa cutoff?

Edit: adding an @CardiacArrhythmia, just b/c I'm not sure if you get a notification otherwise :)

Yes it goes by the academic year GPA, not course-specific.

Archived