Premed 101 Forums

MMI Prep Help

I've received a couple of med school interviews across Canada and although I'm really excited about them, I'm also nervous more than ever. I'm not a socially awkward person, but I do suck at handling stressful social situations! I've always hated being in the spotlight. I instantly turn very red and you can see obvious signs of nervousness/embarrassment when I'm put on the spot. I honestly can't handle it. When I'm comfortable with someone I'm able to have full-blown conversations without any problems. But I've always had an issue with being put on the spot and having to think on my feet with someone watching me. I'm naturally introverted and never seemed to care about trying to be more extroverted until now. I feel like in MMI's and any medical/dental school interviews, extroverts naturally have an advantage and us introverts really gotta step up our game and train really hard to perform just as well as an extrovert would without any training. 

I've been seeking methods to enhance my interview and communication skills. I've been trying to put myself out there more often, engage in more conversations with people I don't know too well, and I've been practicing MMI's with my sister. But I'm still not sure if I'm on the right track or if I'm getting any better. Does anybody have any recommendations for increasing communication skills or overcoming the fears that I've just mentioned?

On 1/31/2019 at 10:57 PM, halleslie said:

I've received a couple of med school interviews across Canada and although I'm really excited about them, I'm also nervous more than ever. I'm not a socially awkward person, but I do suck at handling stressful social situations! I've always hated being in the spotlight. I instantly turn very red and you can see obvious signs of nervousness/embarrassment when I'm put on the spot. I honestly can't handle it. When I'm comfortable with someone I'm able to have full-blown conversations without any problems. But I've always had an issue with being put on the spot and having to think on my feet with someone watching me. I'm naturally introverted and never seemed to care about trying to be more extroverted until now. I feel like in MMI's and any medical/dental school interviews, extroverts naturally have an advantage and us introverts really gotta step up our game and train really hard to perform just as well as an extrovert would without any training. 

I've been seeking methods to enhance my interview and communication skills. I've been trying to put myself out there more often, engage in more conversations with people I don't know too well, and I've been practicing MMI's with my sister. But I'm still not sure if I'm on the right track or if I'm getting any better. Does anybody have any recommendations for increasing communication skills or overcoming the fears that I've just mentioned?

Congratulations on your interviews, that's amazing :)

The biggest advise I 'd give is to truly be yourself, and to not be afraid of judgement.  You have to be confident and secure in yourself to be able to show the interviewers who you are as a person.  I think what you need to practice more than anything is confidence, even in difficult scenarios and when you are afraid of judgement. 

What do you think will help with your confidence?

- If it 's knowledge, then read more.

- maybe it is your internal dialogue, if that's the case then start to change it. Do not think I will turn red or be nervous embarrassed when I'm put on the spot. Think: I will do well and present myself well when I'm put on the spot.. Your thoughts will change your behaviour :) 

- start to develop self- confidence and start to NOT care about what others think. 

- Don't let your introversion be a hindrance, instead celebrate it :) It makes you a more reflective person :). Accept yourself for who you are. I know tons of introverted people in med school ( most of my friends/SO in med school are introverted).  My mentor in med school and the surgeons I'm currently shadowing are introverted. So, introversion is clearly not a hinderance.

When you are practicing for the interviews you will get so much input from other people ( some will say you smile too much, and others will smile you don't smile enough, some will say you look serious and other will say you don't look serious enough...etc), don't listen too much to this kind of feedback because it will make you doubt yourself. You have to realize how you normally act , and act that way in the interviews.  That's all it is...

Good Luck!!

Congratulations on your interviews! It seems that the concern here is the social anxiety rather than the introversion. Putting yourself out there is a great step to show that there is no real danger to such situations, even if your body is telling you the opposite. The nervousness can be overcome with practice, visualization, breathing/relaxation techniques, etc. Look up cognitive behavioural therapy if you haven't already. Also, given that interviews are coming up very soon, perhaps look into getting some makeup to cover your facial redness so that it is less noticeable and won't make you as self-conscious. It will get better with time - good luck :)

Archived