Premed 101 Forums

Academic assessment of graduate applicants

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

UofT supposedly reviews the graduate-level academics of all competitive applicants who are within the graduate applicant pool to assess for interviews. In addition, it has been said that performance in graduate courses is supposedly weighted more heavily than that in undergraduate couses. What I'm wondering though, is how UofT figures out your performance in graduate courses? In the OMSAS application, we are given no opportunity to list our graduate courses nor marks. The only source would be transcripts sent in by candidates who have taken courses in the fall of the year of application, since those transcripts, specifically, are requested by UofT. Any insights?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

That's a good point...and I'm not sure. It would seem they'd have to use the transcripts.

Also, does this mean that there is little benefit for us as graduate students for having done well in our undergraduate courses?? For example with the U of Ottawa selection process it seems that graduate applicants are only assessed differently if they do not make the undergrad cut...but the same does not seem to be true for U of T.

turtle

P.S. Kirsteen: I believe I mentioned this to you a couple of months ago, but the call for abstracts for the CSEB student conference is going to go out soon (as soon as Jason confirms the list of schools to which we should be sending it). Anyway, the conference will be held Sat March 20th here in Ottawa and it would be great if you could come!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there turtle,

Firstly, regarding UofT graduate admissions, the particulars remain obscured, so it's tough to say how the academic assessments are done. However, I have heard from some good sources at the University of Ottawa that the graduate assessment process at UofT is very similar to their own. Whether that means that the undergraduate academic performance is less important, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the CSEB information. :) I'm not sure if I'll have too much time to travel to Ottawa around then, were my abstract submitted, but if I do, I will.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived