Premed 101 Forums

taking courses after graduating

Guest UBClebronjames

Guest UBClebronjames

Hello

I graduated last year (apr 2003) and had taken a full course load each term (5 classes) knowing that most med schools require or look favourably towards those that have taken 5 classes a term.

However this academic year I returned to university to take a few courses that I didn't have the opportunity to fit into my schedule during undergrad. So I have only taken 2 classes a term. Will this harm me in any way? Note: I am not taking them to raise my GPA...

Any students (med or otherwise) that know how Toronto would look towards a student taking less that full course load in an unclassified year could you please post.

thanks

Edited the question to make it school-specific. -Ian

Guest UTMed07

I think you should be okay.

www.library.utoronto.ca/m...o.html#gpa

Less than full course load:

Students who have taken less than five full courses (or 10 half courses) in any given year will be considered on the average of all courses taken during the regular academic session. The weighting formula will not be applied.

YET...

Summer And Part-Time Courses:

Summer courses are considered as supplemental work and are not counted in the applicant's Grade Point Average. However, courses taken during the summer or part-time are counted, if successfully completed, in the total number of credits.

AFAIK, two courses is considered part-time. Also, I think what you're doing would be considered 'supplemental' (as it is non-degree).

Goes without saying, if you're worried check with the admissions office--they are the authority.

Archived