Premed 101 Forums

graduate productivity of those accepted for interviews?

Guest mydream88

Guest mydream88

Hi guys,

as usual, med school is on the mind :\ :) . I was just wondering, as I have searched the archives, if there is any information pertaining to graduate productivity of those graduate students that were invited for interviews.

mydream88

Hi mydream,

I was looking for this kind of info too recently - but didn't find much. I am slightly worried because I am finishing a masters with very little "productivity". I am wondering if they'll take into consideration the fact that I started my degree working in a brand spanking new lab (basically I had to set it up and get it up and running - let alone figure out which projects were never going to work!). I am now working on a successful project - but seeing as it's still in the beginning stages there is also little concrete "productivity" to report here. Maybe some moderators with grad degrees can shed some light? :\

Guest mydream88

Dear Xine15,

it sounds like you have accomplished some wonderful stuff in the department of productivity that you should be proud of :) . Hopefully moderators, etc. will be able to provide information as to how this productivity would be rated and or divulge as to where we can obtain information on the graduate productivity of accepted/interviewed applicants.

best of luck :D

mydream88

Guest Adamanda

I am also concerned about my productivity :( --- which is essentially nothing b/c I am in a professional masters prgm that is internship based. Does anyone know of Professional prgm interview invitees?

Guest mydream88

not sure about that one either Adamanda. One piece of information I can offer is unrelated to your question but hopefully informative...after trying to get information out of the admissions office after rejections last year, I determined that for graduate students, it is not as important how productive you were as an undergrad, so publications, etc. from then aren't what they are really looking for.

My next question (though I hope the first one above is answered too :) ) is: do you guys think that research projects that are accepted for presentation this year at upcoming conferences, or are in preparation for publication since graduation :D count for anything? They do show productivity yet they have not been published/presented at this time.

ahhhhhhhhh:eek

mydream88

Yeah i wonder too... its hard to get a lot in two years... I have one paper submitted (still waiting to hear back from journal) and one abstract submitted (for conference in july 2004), but other than that, nothing to show for right now

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I recall a few posts around from successful graduate applicants to UofT, e.g., there was one from UTMeds07 a wee while back, although I don't have a link for it at the moment, sorry. :rolleyes

As to productivity, presentations/abstracts/papers in process probably count for something, even if it isn't as much as those which have already been presented or published.

For future applicants to the MD programs that like to see graduate productivity, if you are in MHSc. or non-basic science M.Sc. programs, there is one decent route to attaining a good level of graduate productivity (albeit, a very busy one!). Typically, your M.Sc. thesis will yield one publishable paper, and a couple of presentations, (although the paper will generally emerge at the end of your two-year M.Sc. experience). However, you can increase your productivity hugely if you take on a job, such as Research Assistant, in an area completely unrelated to your thesis work. Depending on the activity within the area in which you are working as a Research Assistant you can at least double the number of presentations/abstracts/papers that you would create solely by working on your thesis. This route, of course, is contingent upon your thesis supervisor being willing to let you assume other such roles, and you having the time to actually work on both effectively to keep both supervisors happy. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived