Premed 101 Forums

A question about first year uni.

Guest ahmed

Guest ahmed

I have been accepted to Biomed at Ottawa u. This program accepts 100 per year. as I am looking through the calender, there are many heave-duty courses in the program, and it does give me what i need for med. I am comparing this program with Health sciences at ottawa u. In health sciences, they do give me the prereq for med but its easier since its not as concentrated in first year and stuf.. so can u please tell me if i am going to be disadvantaged if i go into health sciences ,, i am feeling that med admission will think that health sciences is an easier course and *might* not view my application as strong as another person from a the biochem stream.

Just to give u an idea: in biomed they have like chem bio physiology, psychology, and calculus in first term of uni. health science is got chem physiology, and someother courses like psychology sociology and stuff.. so i am realynot sure what to do

Guest satsumargirl

Ottawa will not evaluate either degree differently. No preference is given to what you got your degree in.

In our class we have a wide range of backgrounds and includes things like philosophy, law, in addition to the typical science backgrounds of course.

Study what interests you.

Sats

Guest Talon01

Just study what most interests you. If you study something you don't really like you have a good change on not doing as well, therefore a lower GPA, and your plan of using it to get into medicine has backfired AND if you don't get into medicine what are you going to do with an undergrad degree in a field you don't even enjoy.

I'd suggest taking something you like, you'll get better marks most likely (which will help your med app) and if you don't get into medicine you've got something you enjoy to fall back on.

Best wishes!

Archived