Premed 101 Forums

O-Week?

Guest Spazumn

Guest Spazumn

Can anyone shed some light on this whole O-week thing? I know it will probably be a fantastic time full of activities and getting to know classmates, but if we have to miss it (or part of it) for some reason, will we be missing anything important? I read on another post that we are assigned to academies during that week, so if we want to do any switching I guess it would be best to start early... Is there anything else big that I might miss in case I can't make it (finishing grad school and moving from Montreal might make a delay for me...)

thanks!

Guest interviewed

Hi Spazumn,

A schedule of events from last year's O-week is online at http://www.torontomeds.com. It looked to me that there are a few events that are purely for fun and for getting to know some people (eg day trip at waterpark). I am not sure when academies are assigned.

Can anyone shed light on what the academies & associated hospitals are like? pros and cons? special considerations? I will also be an OT8 and would love to find out.

Guest ILoveGod

Hi Interviewed,

There are 3 Academies and each with their own hospitals: Peter Boyd-Sunnybrook and Women's College, Fitzgerald-St.Michael's Hosptial, and WB-Mt.Sinai and the University Health Network.

The school will randomly assign you an academy in O-week and that is the hospital you will be affiliated with for the ASCM aspect (Arts and Science of CLinical Medicine) of 1st and 2nd year. I am pretty sure that it is where you will go every Friday to get clinical exposure.

Each Academy is very strong and most people are happy with their academies. Some may want to change because of location problems..ie. going all the way to Sunnybrook when they live Downtown...If this is a big problem, the administrators can help you switch otherwise it is expected that you stick with your academy.

In clerkship years, they do their best to give you the academy of your choice!!!:)

Guest interviewed

thanks!

Do people prefer one academy over another for reasons other than location? Perhaps there's more focus on one aspect of healthcare than another at a particular hospital? It's good to hear that the academies are equally good.

Guest getitonthefloor

Yeah man!

I took a look at the 0T7 O-week festivities, and omigoodness it seems like a lot of fun! Sure as heck beats undergrad frosh week! Woohoo! Can't wait for this to get started!

For the past two months I've been counting down to the day I get my acceptance, now my countdown has begun to the start of O-week.

I'm too enthusiastic and excited...I'm gonna run around the block now!

Peace!

Guest Aidan

getitonthefloor,

Every time I think I can contain my excitement about med school and O-week, I read one of your post and it all goes to hell.....countin' down the days! :b

Btw...where did you find the schedule for last year's O-week?! I want to see it!

hahaha....I'm even excited about immunizations! This can't be a good thing.

Guest Nightriders19

LOL...PaniDoktor, that is too funny, because I did the same thing!

As soon as I got the acceptance, I called my doctor's office to make an appointment to get the TB test done! Not only that, but my fiance drove me to the OUAC (OMSAS) office in Guelph to drop off my form, and then to Toronto to drop off my form there (all this on the day I got my acceptance). How funny is that? Man, I am such a keener :)

I am just so excited to be going to med school that I couldn't wait to do anything!

Laura

Guest dr deelish

hahahahaha .. I tried not to make UT notice that I was absolutely thrilled with the acceptance, thus, I waited 2 days before I sent out my response .. but I too booked my doctor's appointment and already sent out my first aid certifications and my deposit ..

O-week looks sweet :)

Guest CTU24

I will also join the pathetic over-keener club and admit that I brought most of my forms to the admissinos office w/ in 2 days of receiving it.

In my defence though, I do work at the MSB bldg, so it was convenient, and I haven't called my Dr. yet to get poked w/ needles, but it's b/c I've forgotten to call almost everyday. No OMSAS drive for me either.

But I do understand the feeling. There are so many deadlines that no one wants to miss one. How stupid would you feel if they took away your acceptance b/c you didn't do something on time (do they actually do that by the way?

CTU24

Guest gonzo23

I just have to say how much I LOVE Wonderland! I didn't think I'd be able to swing a trip there this summer so I'm really hoping that it remains a staple event that they include in this year's O-week!

Tomb Raider... Oooooooooo.

Guest Spazumn

thanks for the info, interviewed! I'm going to try my best to make it for O-week, i've never been to Wonderland and most of the places they listed, so should be a blast! But if I go I'm going to miss my soccer finals (and I think we have a good shot at winning everything this year) :(

Geez, and I thought picking med schools would be tough! :P

Guest UT0T4

Hey Spazumn,

What league are you playing in? I just graduated from UT and remember playing the meds' team in Div 2 intramural soccer...they'll need our help this year ;) haha... actually, they were pretty good. I'm also relying on soccer to help pass the time between now and o-week and I can't wait till euro 2004 kicks off as well. les bleus all the way!

Guest Spazumn

hi OT4!

That sounds really cool, I'd love to play on an intramural team at U of T. Actually right now I'm just playing in a 18+ women's house league, once a week in the summer - it's fun though, keeps my competitiveness up and a reason to stay in shape! And such a beautiful sport...

I have a game tonight actually, wish me luck!! ;)

Guest Nightriders19

Hey all,

Just wondering, do you guys think it would be ok to include a significant other in some of the O-week activities (e.g. going out to Indian Motorcycle or something like that)?. I just don't want my fiance to feel too lonely while I'm out partying it up with you fantastic folks all week :D

Guest ILoveGod

Hey Nightrider,

I am pretty sure you can bring your significant other. i think they just have to pay the admissions fee for that specific event. But I am pretty sure you can bring them!

Cheers:)

Guest UT0T4

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if banks will send reps to talk w/ us during O-week? I was talking w/ a friend from Queen's who said that the banks hosted a lunch for them and gave out freebies as well as info into their LOC programs. I am not sure if I should wait till o-week to sort out the bank I want to get a LOC from - I am concerned that having been approved for a LOC may affect how much in bursaries I may get. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Guest ILoveGod

Hi UTOT4,

I highly doubt that having a line of credit is going to affect bursary decisions. Majority of the medical students will have a LOC or should not have any trouble in obtaining a LOC. A LOC is not a scholarship or a grant; it is simply a loan. Having a LOC may actually beneficial b/c it will show that you do not have any other resources and you NEED a LOC and therefore any types of bursaries/scholarships/grants will be helpful...:)

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

This really sucks, but I will probably be missing O-week. :( I am from out of province and will probably only be able to move to TO before August 30, as I have a lot of loose ends to tie up with my current graduate program. I was wondering if anyone else here was in the same boat? And also, is it serious to be missing the academic parts of O-week (i.e. academy tours, curriculum info, first anatomy class etc.) Any info would help, as I'd like to be a little informed before calling the admin office.

Thanks!

Archived