Premed 101 Forums

look at current year of study?

Guest hurricanekrishna82

Guest hurricanekrishna82

Hi ~

Was wondering whether UofT MEDS looks an applicant's current year of study when calculating overall weighted GPA?

Thanks...

Guest Ollie

No I don't think so because you will not have those grades included in the transcript you submit. They can only calculate an average from the grades on your transcript.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

Ollie's bang on. UofT will use only the GPA calculated from the courses you completed prior to the October of the application cycle in which you are participating. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest choti

does this mean that whether or not you have a full courseload in the current year that U of T will still drop your lowest credit in each of the previous years?

Guest dr deelish

Yeah, I spoke to Leslie about this when I was applying in the last cycle. It was my last term of school (before graduation), and I was set to graduate with 22.0 credits (I had taken 5.0 each year + 2.0 in my first summer). I decided to chillax during this last term, so I dropped 3 half-courses, turns out, 4 days after dropping those 3 half-courses I was invited for an interview at UT. I called Leslie and she said that it would not affect the way they calculated my average, as it is only what you do in previous years (not the application year) that counts. So despite only taking 3.5 courses in my last year, I still had the weighting formula applied and eventually got in.

Of course, whether or not you decide to drop courses really depends on your situation. Dropping 3 half-courses would not have been cool with them if it meant that I couldn't graduate.

Archived