Premed 101 Forums

OT8 @ 89 Chestnut?

Guest Nikhila

Guest Aidan

I want to but haven't been offered a spot yet :\ . I hope they let me know soon. Nikhila, do you know for sure that you're living there?

Guest 15Sacha

I got offered a super single about 2 weeks ago, but I'm not going to take it. Instead I will be moving into an apartment, which I find way more convenient and cheap.

Guest Aidan

Hey Sacha,

Whereabouts did you look for an apartment (and how did you start looking)? If Chestnut doesn't work out, I'll have to start looking too (very soon!), but I'm new to the rental game. If you have any pointers or tips, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Guest UofT MD OT8

Renting tips!

Some places to look at:

1) If you are in Toronto or GTA, look at the Renters News (a magazine that is free to get and available at many street corners)

2) http://www.viewit.ca

3) If you are a UofT Student, you can look at UofT Off-Campus Housing. Just go to http://www.utoronto.ca, go to current student links and look under student Housing

4) Put in a late application at 89 Chestnut

5) go to http://www.torontomeds.com and click on Contents and scroll down to Housing and Classifieds!!!

A lot of us are looking. Right now, the renters have a lot of choice due to the economy; so there a lot of empty unoccupied suites. Just keep looking to find the optimal one in terms of rent, distance, and roomates!

:)

Guest Makunouchi

I had Chesnut as a backup, and got offered a double yesterday.

If I do end up staying there, I would rather have a single.

Hey guys,

I put in a late application at 89 Chestnut too. I was wondering how far a walk it is from the med school. Does anyone know?

thanks so much

ren

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bleepo

Hey Nikhila,

I just got offered a super single at Chestnut. I most likely will be accepting. I'm glad to know there'll be someone else from my class there! And Aidan, keep calling and emailing them once a week...that's what I did ... =)

Bleepo

Guest OaTey8

Hey Bleepo,

I'm still waiting to hear. I was calling the res coordinator about once a week up till the week before last, but haven't phoned since then. Your story gives me hope though, so I'll call again Monday! Were you offered the room over the phone, or did it come by mail? -- I'm just wondering if calling really does make a difference.

- OaTey8 (formerly Aidan)

Guest Nikhila

Hey Bleepo!

That's awesome that you'll be living at Chestnut as well, I think there will be a group of us. I know another girl who got double occupancy there so that makes the 3 of us. I also am living in a super-single room (I wanted a single but they didn't have any unfortunately)...

Aidan, I really hope Chestnut comes through for you, I was notified by e-mail if that is of any help.

Nikhila

Guest mydream88

Hey guys,

I am glad you have found places of residence, and for those of you still waiting, I have high hopes you will find what you are looking for real soon. I'm moving to bloor st. in a week and am super excited :)

I can't wait to be in a class with all of you, and to put a face to a name :)

mydream88:)

I was just offered a single room at 89 Chestnut and I also know another person from our class who was offered a double... So that makes five of us forsure!

Nikhila you said you wanted a single but were given a super single... i'm interested in switching with you, if ur up for it?:D I sent you a msg in your inbox.

ren

Guest Bleepo

Hey guys,

I too got notified via email. I was first sent an email from Kate Milligan asking if I was still interested and then a second email from someone else containing the actual offer. When I called a couple weeks earlier, they said the chance of getting a single room was unlikely and recommended I opt for a super single. So for those of you still waiting, try opting for a super single. I was hoping for a single myself, because it is a tad cheaper, but a room is a room.... now to decide what to do with all the extra space =P ... good for having study groups I guess ...haha

Guest Nikhila
Nikhila you said you wanted a single but were given a super single... i'm interested in switching with you, if ur up for it? I sent you a msg in your inbox.

I just saw your message and I replied back to it Ren. In short, I am very interested in switching with you!

Nikhila

Guest Makunouchi

That's cool

I had a deadline for a double... and I was told I could try for a super single. Didn't know they had singles left - that's good news for you.

They said they had more apps than expected this year.

Anyhow, I decided I didn't want to play the lottery and got an apt instead. Would've been nice to be a part of the 'chestnut study group'.

Guest Spazumn

I was offered a single room as well but declined it to accept a spot at Graduate house. I sent an email to 89 Chestnut to decline it (which they confirmed) and even requested that my spot be given to a med student, so I hope they listened to me!

Nikhila,

I'm having problems with my e-mail account today so I sent a msg to your pre-med mailbox...sorry for the inconvenience.

A couple quick questions for you all:

Which meal plan options are you guys going for? The carte blanche seems like the best value, but i dunno how res food is.

And are you guy moving in early for the aprox. $315 fee/ week?

Thanks so much,

ren

Guest Bleepo

Hey ren,

Yeah, I opted for the carte blanche. Apparently, the food at this rez is supposed to be the best. The chef of the hotel actually stayed on to cook for the rez students when UT took over the building. As for the $315/wk ... definitely. I don't want to have to worry about commuting and traffic during the first 2 weeks of school! :b

Archived