Premed 101 Forums

a bad year...

Guest hurricanekrishna82

Guest hurricanekrishna82

Hi ~

I am aiming to enter MEDS one day. I am going into fourth year. My situation has become a little complicated because of some family problems and it costed me dearly...my third year marks dropped substantially. My weighted GPAs for my 1st and 2nd years are 3.76, 3.84, respectively. My 3rd year GPA weighted is 2.5. I am doing an additional year to make up for my third year and I very positive I can do well. I have significant volunteer and clinical experience as well. I have assisted surgery, observed surgeries, shadowed docs and also have a paper under review and a presentation coming up. I am also a manager of an Ortho Surg Research Lab. I have not done the MCAT yet, planning to do it next summer. I was wondering whether this bad year will affect my chances at UofT. Thanks...

Guest 2 plus 2 is 4

U of T looks at the cumulative GPA of all the courses you've taken during the school year i.e. summer courses not included, however, if you've kept a full course load throughout all of your undergrad years (including the extra year you plan on doing) your GPA will be calculated in such a way that you can exclude one full course grade per full year of study e.g. if you've completed four full years of study by the time you apply you can drop 4 full-course equivalents (source). If you haven't held a full course load the weighing doesn't apply and all of your marks are taken into consideration (again, with the exception of summer grades). The minimum average GPA required (with or without weighing, whichever applies to you) is 3.6.

As an aside, if you feel that your grades do not reflect your true academic potential due to extenuating circumstances OMSAS gives you the opportunity expand on this. This is something that you may want peruse when the time comes for you to apply, though I'm not sure how the schools will take it into consideration.

Guest Elaine I

I will be applying to U of T, and requesting "special consideration" due to my overall low GPA (recent GPA ~3.85). I will be writing a separate letter, since OMSAS only allows 100 characters to explain how your marks don't reflect your true ability. It is very hard to explain much in that amount of space! I don't know if my letter will help me with U of T, but I'm definately going to try!

Elaine

Archived