Premed 101 Forums

Dean's list eligibility criteria??

Guest kindie222

Guest kindie222

hi. i just wanted to clarify something regarding the dean's list awards at uoft. i understand that to be eligible, one has to have a gpa of 3.50 or higher, but i'm not sure when this applies. basically, are the awards awarded to the people who have achieved 3.50 in one year alone, or do they consider the cumulative gpa of all previous years too, in determining eligibility for this award?

thankx, kindie

Guest Steve U of T

I'm looking at my Dean's List letter right now, and it says it is awarded to students with a cumulative gpa of at least 3.50 (based on your entire academic record). Apparently, it is not based on annual gpa.

Guest kindie222

Steve U of T, does that mean that you received your award when u graduated? also, would you know if uoft has other honours (upon graduation) such as the distinction of summa cum laude, etc.?

thankx again,

kindie

Guest Steve U of T

It's calculated on a yearly basis. I was on the Dean's List 4 times for each of my 4 years, including my graduating year. In addition to Dean's List, upon graduation, students with a gpa between 3.2 and 3.49 receive their degree 'with distinction' (equivalent of cum laude) and students with a gpa 3.50 and above graduate 'with high distinction' (equivalent to magna cum laude). Basically, anybody on the Dean's List when they graduate will receive a bachelor's degree with high distinction.

Guest kindie222

hey Steve, i just want to make sure that i'm getting this right. so, for example, if someone had a terrible first year, first year gpa of 3.0 (and subsequently did not receive the award), but a second year gpa of 3.86 equaling a cumulative gpa (for the two years of undergrad) of 3.43, they still won't be eligible for the award at the end of second year, correct? so, this person won't be eligible until he/she obtains a cgpa of 3.5 (which will take another year of excellent grades to obtain), right?

hope u understand my confusing question:) ,

kindie

Guest Steve U of T

That is correct. Cumulative gpa, not annual gpa, must be 3.50. Unfortunately, the school doesn't really reward those who make great improvements in their academics. Medical school admissions committees, on the other hand, supposedly do look quite favourably upon such changes in academic success.

Archived