Premed 101 Forums

Internet Service Providers

Guest Makunouchi

Guest CornuAmmonis

HI,

It depends on what kind of usage you want to get out of it.

Basically, if all you want is to check e-mail and do the odd surfing, then you can install a dialup...of course, you will use up your telephone line and it'll still cost you 15 - 20 / month.

Now, if you want true speed, you can use either Rogers or Bell for their CAble or DSL access. Of course this runs you 45 per month, but you get instant access, no tying up of the telephone line and most importantly, amazing speed.

However, here's an alternative. YOu can be somewhere in the middle by still going with Rogers or Bell and having their "lite" version (as rogers calls it). Basically, its still Cable or DSL, but your bandwith is capped to about 128 kbps, or twice the speed of a 56k dial up. Most importantly, is that it doesn't tie up a line, always on, and you get some good speed (although no where near as fast).

The good thing is that these lite versions are cheaper, about 25 per month.

If you want a pay per use, you can always choose the U of T UTORdial in which you can pay only the minutes you want.

hope this helps.

Guest Makunouchi

Great replies - thanks for all of the help!

I'll also check to see if there are some DSL/phone line combo packages, like they do with some cable services.

thanks again

Guest Steve U of T

Don't know about Bell, but Rogers has a couple of other options in addition to regular high speed (3 Mbps) and 'lite' (128 kbps); there's also ultra-lite (64 kbps) and extreme (5 Mbps). Extreme has the same monthly fee as the normal high speed, but you pay a one-time fee to buy a special modem. I don't know if it's really worth it, because often the bottleneck comes at the other end of the connection. I'm pretty happy with the regular 'hi-speed'. You can get some good package deals if you order cable tv service, and you can package Bell Sympatico with your phone service.

By the way, Makunouchi, I wouldn't recommend using that website you posted. It appears to be a few years out of date. RogersWAVE hasn't existed for several years. The one Lactic Folly posted appears to be more recent.

Guest cheech10

I strongly recommend the "Extreme" service if you go with Rogers. The DOCSIS modems are more reliable, downloads are MUCH faster, and, probably most importantly, uploads are faster too.

Hi guys,

My only suggestion (based on my very limited knowledge of the subject) is to get something, ANYTHING faster than dial-up. I had many problems this year accessing files needed for school, especially ASCM (clinical skills) where it took about 1 hour to download one of the 3 minute videos, and Brain & Behaviour where I could not download the program that was part of the curriculum (100 MB at dial-up speed=VERY SLOW!).

High-speed, ultra, extreme--whatever, just get something nice and fast. Unless of course, you want to rely on the computers at MedSci...:P

bj

Guest Nightriders19

Just a note that you can get high speed internet from other ISPs for a lot cheaper than Bell and Rogers. I get my DSL service from a local company here in Waterloo (Golden Triangle Online) for 29.95/month. The service has been great (no problems at all, and really fast, even when 3 people are online at once), and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than Sympatico high speed.

You can get Golden Triangle DSL service in Toronto, and that's what my fiance and I are planning to do when we get our apartment all set up.

You can also just look in the yellow pages for ISPs, and they should have advertisements for the ones that provide high speed service.

Hope this helps.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

Archived