Premed 101 Forums

Financial aspect of attending Australian vs Canadian school

dental education is completely lacking on the business side... which does not make sense.

Glad to have helped.  Like the people in this thread, I was in their position 8 years ago.  Finished undergrad, applied to Australia for dental school and got in.  I thought my life was set... 4 years out of dental school, and my life is far from what I expected it to be.  It's important to have an idea of how things will be after dental school.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^but the underlying question is, is the quality of life, balance of life and career, better than another comparable field. Given the time and financial commitment, one should compare to other fields as well and then decide whether it's worth it. Interest is a big factor but it should be within a realistic expectation.

On 5/17/2019 at 12:30 PM, human instinct said:

^^^but the underlying question is, is the quality of life, balance of life and career, better than another comparable field. Given the time and financial commitment, one should compare to other fields as well and then decide whether it's worth it. Interest is a big factor but it should be within a realistic expectation.

it'd be a hard comparison to make unless you actually go out and try other fields.  You would only have a small idea of another profession after speaking people in the field. Also, quality of life and work/life balance can vary drastically between different associate positions as well. 

Very true. Also people like to hype up their fields and it’s hard to get straight facts. You’d probably have to go into the field or know someone that you trust to give you the truth.

I’d say find what your interested in and work hard. You’ll make money as long as you are passionate and can work hard without feeling to stressed. 

If things don’t work out you can always change your field or start businesses. 

Archived