Premed 101 Forums

TO take or NOT to take?

Guest RXK

Hey all,

my question, for today, is slightly off topic from the premed discussion, but i thought i would ask anyway. well, i was considering taking BCH210 during this summer, but should i rather take it during the school year? basically, is this course something i could potentially do well in and if so, should i take it during the school year so that the mark can be used (in gpa calculations, etc.) for most schools? btw, i do like organic chemistry!

also, any information about this course would be helpful such as workload, professors, difficulty... (i've tried finding this information in the anti-calender, but i couldn't find the listing.)

p.s. good luck to everyone who is still waiting for a reply!

Thanks for the help,

RXK

Guest Steve U of T

BCH210 is a very well-taught course. I took it 2.5 years ago, but it probably hasn't changed much since then. Both Dr. Deber and Dr. Baker are great profs. It is not a difficult course, and as I recall, the class average was B when I took it, which is higher than a lot of other 2nd year courses. It's not hard to get an A, and I even knew somebody who ended up with a grade of 100%, and he wasn't even a life science student (he was in commerce). The workload isn't too bad either. When I took it, there was only a midterm and a final exam. I think they have added an assignment in addition to the exams this year, but I have heard it's not difficult. I'd recommend taking it during the year.

Guest UTStudent03

Yeah, if possible definitely take it during the year. Dr. Baker is hilarious and is one of the best profs I've ever had. Steve's correct, they've added an assignment but it's quite interesting (you design a protein) and if you put in the effort you'll get a pretty decent final mark.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I too, took a Biochemistry course with him and Dr. Baker was the definite highlight. Consequently, I doubt I'll forget that some RNA molecules have a swan-like shape. :) (The man could easily have enjoyed an alternate career as a comic actor.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived