Premed 101 Forums

Applying to US + CAN this year / need help with school list

Hey all,

I'm a Canadian applicant preparing for my third cycle and could use help making my list of US schools to apply to.

I graduated in 2018 from a Canadian University. After applying in only Canada out of my 4th year, I got 3 interviews, and was waitlisted at all 3. This past cycle, I got 4 interviews and was waitlisted at 2. I've decided to invest in applying to the U.S as extra insurance this year, before my MCAT score expires and it becomes much harder to apply anywhere. I will be applying to at least 12 Canadian schools (pretty much every single one except the French ones), and I am looking for somewhere between 10 and 15 US schools to apply to.

I've bought MSAR and started my own list. I am looking at those schools most "Canadian-friendly" (top-tier, Private), and also the ones that complement my high MCAT. Any advice on which ones are not worth applying to, and ones that are that I've missed, is much appreciated.

• MCAT: 525: 31/31/31/32 (taken Sept. 2016)
  • cGPA: ~3.93
  • sGPA: ~3.88
  • Volunteering: 500+ hours volunteering at children's hospital directly with patients.
  • Research: 1 large systematic review/meta-analysis submitted for publication; 1 systematic review/meta-analysis in progress; 1 poster for thesis work.
  • Work Experience: summer job as a MCAT tutor.
  • Other: contributor and on the editorial team for a local writers' group (short fiction, poetry); amateur martial arts; practice/play music on an amateur level.

Current list of 18 in no particular order:

• Columbia (Vagelos)
  • Harvard
  • Stanford
  • Vanderbilt
  • Yale
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Wayne State
  • Thomas Jefferson (Sidney Kimmel)
  • St. Louis U
  • Howard
  • Washington U St. Louis