Premed 101 Forums

parking at u of c

Guest Stalin

Guest Stalin

Hello:

I am a little confused as to parking at med school. I heard that there is a monthly lot for 95 dollars a month? or there is visitor parking. The parking authority at foothills told my girlfriend that med students if they want a pass have to park at some off site lots and then take a shuttle bus to hospital. Just wondering if anyone can clarify this form me.

Thanks,

Hey i just asked about it today. For $32 buck you can park near the new children's hospital (lot 49 or 59) and there's a shuttle that comes every 15-20 minutes that goes to the hospital. You can pick up the info for it in the basement of the Women's Health Center at Parking services. They have a schedual and tell you what day you can pick up the pass (I think its Aug 1).

Guest Stalin

Thanks... that's what they told my girlfriend .. the off site pass... Do you know if med students can get an onsite pass...at health sciences? I thought i heard about a 95 dollar a month pass.. just wondering if the 32 dollar pass is the only option to park?

thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

There are other parking passes available, i.e., in the lots around the Health Sciences Building, but I didn't think that they were officially available to medical students until clerkship when we're given a parking pass that grants free access to the Foothills, Alberta Children's, Rockyview and PLC lots. You can contact Parking Services for this information.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest happy2bme

hmmm there is a visitor pass for 95/month at foothills, I don't know if medstudents are restricted from getting them. I hope not, because I was willing to pony up the cash for the convience due to an extremely busy life outside of classes....

I'll call next week to inquire if noone beats me to it.

The $95 pass is a visitor pass for the hospital and no we aren't allowed to have them. They are strictly for visitors and the parking people would probably catch on if you came every month to get one. I know at the hospital I work at, you need to give the patients name and room number that you're visiting before they issue you a visitor pass. The off-site parking isn't such a bad deal. The shuttle comes very frequently. I dunno, I guess we'll find out. I also heard that university students get free bus passes or something. Anyone know anything about that?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Just to corroborate, during first year I was willing to spend the money for the visitor's pass but was restricted from doing so by the parking folks (since I was a medical student). By the way, the parking folks have got a copy of the class composite photos pinned on the wall. I ended up using the pay parking lots surrounding the Health Sciences Building whenever I drove to school.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lurkergonepublic

If anyone doesn't want to decide on parking until you see things for yourself, and you don't mind a 10 minute walk, keep in mind that until the end of August it is still free to park at McMahon stadium. If you're willing to be creative and come a bit earlier to cover some walking time ... let's just say I've worked in the building for 4 years, and never paid for parking (although I have paid a grand total of maybe $100 in fines over 4 years - pretty cheap for parking). However, I don't drive everyday. If I did, it would be way too annoying to park the way I have been.

I've never tried the shuttle lots, but that may be something to think about. The shuttles do come a lot more often than the buses, that's for sure. And yes, I believe a transit pass is included in tuition fees for all UofC students.

Of course, if you want to get on a waiting list, that's another story and you should sign up ASAP.

I came in today to cover a shift at the TBCC for a unit clerk friend, and imagining the walk up the South hill to the rear of the building in the middle of February is enough to make me seriously consider getting a shuttle lot pass. I'm gonna go talk to parking services tonight before I leave! :lol

Guest happy2bme

Well that's just ducky...I need close parking as I am still going to be working before/after/during school hours and even 10mins closer helps.

Hmmm and I've the parking attendants, they don't look like they're easy to bribe....especially the lady with all the toys at her window.

This puts a kink into my plans, one of many medical school is sure to throw at me, LOL. Oh well I'm off to rearrange my work schedule!

Guest happy2bme

I just talked to the parking gods, and apparently they run 4 buses so the wait is only "supposed" to be 5-10minutes.

I tend to be the last person walking into a room...so now I have to try and factor 10min into my tardiness...

Guest Kirsteen

Hey happy,

It's probably a good idea to try to wean yourself from tardiness during the first two years of the program in preparation for clerkship. :)

Kirsteen

Archived