Premed 101 Forums

Shadowing with Family MDs

Guest mg83

Guest jgray2

lurker, there was an e-mail sent out by susan re: the shadowing with family docs. the gist of it is that ~10 students are invited to shadow family docs for 3-5 days the week (or two) prior to the start of class. the university would set you up with all of that. there is no monetary cost or benefit, but you have to present your experiences "to a small group of students" (ie. the whole class?).

i myself won't be able to attend because i won't be in the country. however, if i had known about this program before booking my tickets, then i would definitely have applied for it.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I tend to agree with the above post. There is ample time to shadow (or at least there was with our class curriculum).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

It sounds like a great opportunity but not sure I really want to change my plans of moving to Calgary to even earlier...hmmm sounds like there isn't even a good chance that you'll get picked if there are a lot of people who apply. Oh well, like Kristeen said there will be other opportunities.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

That email must have gone out before I got in I guess...

I think I want to use my scant 2 weeks of vacation before classes start for something else anyway - plus my family doc already let me shadow him for 6+ half days over the last year - one of the ways I boosted my apps from last year in the first place... Anyone here signing up?

Guest wylie348

I have been doing the same as you Lurker, shadowing my family doctor - or at least plaguing him with questions... :)

I am still interested in this but am unsure how to get on the 'list', and also unsure if there will be time in July to move to Cowtown and do this...

Does it mean that the U of C will help setup shadowing for me here in Medicine Hat?

Thanks,

Guest fizzicyst

Hey all,

The Family Medicine Interest Group has been trying to get a shadowing program going for the fall. We had a few people placed around xmas last year but we're trying to expand the program. (Plug: if one of you keen 2009's wants to get involved with organizing we should talk)

Anyway, hopefully there will be news around O-week but basically the idea is to help students find a family doc to shadow with during IST over a few weeks. The advantage to shadowing the same doc is that as they teach you new things you can gradually do more on your own and you can get comfortable asking questions. You also have the chance to do some reading around interesting cases, perhaps get to see some followup.

There is also RPAP which is a fantastic program which I highly recommend to everyone.

Guest wylie348

What is RPAP? Also, I am interested in Geriatrics, am a 2009'er, and sometimes too keen, so sign me up!

I believe there is a Dr. Wright that could help me or I could shadow - anyone know him/her?

Thanks!

:D

Guest fizzicyst

wylie348,

Dr Wright is the new Associate Dean for UME (meaning he's the only Dean type you'll ever see). He's a great guy, expect to meet him on day 1.

Archived