Premed 101 Forums

Time to talk about something different........

Guest PreyOnWords

Guest PreyOnWords

ok ok...I am sure we are all going to go nuts waiting until May 15th unless we discuss something different...I think its time to spike a whole new conversation....How about.. what you (anyone) will do next year if you do not get into medicine? Everyone needs a back up plan...so whats yours? Not to be pessimistic, but hopefully this rouses an interesting conversation.

What are my plans? Well I will most likely find a job for a year to anticipate the heavy tuition debt I will soon be in. Second, I will dabble more in paramedicine and probably work part time with an interhospital ambulance service (I am a licensed medical responder).. One thing I will not do is a masters...not that it wouldn't be useful, but I really have absolutely no attraction to do one....Well that my plans in a very short synopsis......

Guest Ninja Star360

Well I have been refusing to make up a real plan B. But now that my exams are over, I've been having WAY too much time to think. I seriously don't want to do a master's degree. I like research, but the idea of waiting 2 full years if I don't get in this year is a little much. I will make up my real plan B on May 15.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

In Calgary, if you were to launch into a Masters program, what is the deadline for application? Is it before or after May 15th?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Jochi1543

I'm applying this fall, so I'm not under that much pressure yet, but if I don't get in for fall 2007, I'll just work like 60 hours a week and pay off all my undergrad loans - luckily, I'll have under $10,000, so it is feasible to pay them off in a year if I work a lot.

Guest PreyOnWords

One thing I have also considered doing with my degree is applying for a position as a pharm rep with a drug company....It is kind of the like the dark side..But then again, what you would lose in integrity and in selling your soul, you would gain in all expense paid trips, a designated car, and a company visa. Just a thought.....

Guest happy2bme

Well I said I'd give my self three chances to get into meds, as I am older and times a tickin!!!! This is my second and hopefully more successful try!

In the meantime I have a couple companies that I run or help run and probably before summer is out I will have one more (small one). So if meds doesn't happen for me this year I definitly have stuff to do.

People often ask if I am crazy about wanting to go back to school, since financially it makes absolutely no sense. It's more about job satisfaction and feeling that I am meant to serve a more appropriate role in society which is driving me to medicine.

On a fun note, I went looking at 5th wheels this weekend, and hopefully will be spending May long celebrating my medschool acceptance camping!!!

I will probably take another University course this Fall just to keep my mind in the game. Suggestions anyone for interesting courses at the UofC?? I don't need any prereq, so just looking for courses that others have enjoyed....although I realize that some prefer Maths while interpretative Dance floats others boats....

Guest Lurkergonepublic
In Calgary, if you were to launch into a Masters program, what is the deadline for application? Is it before or after May 15th?

I looked into this earlier in the year, and I believe it was sometime back in February. I mostly remember looking at the requirements earlier in the year and seeing I had three weeks to fill out an application, get a bunch of reference letters, line up a potential supervisor (at least one willing to say they were 'interested' in having me), and ideally start applying for funding. As I was more worried about preparing for interviews at the time, I just dropped it. Bottom line I think, is that you need to start your Masters app (at least a research one) at the same time or immediately after your med school app. It's not a quick process either.

Calgary also has the course based Masters of Biomedical Technology which I've found intruiging (combines biotech and business training - its largely a networking course I've heard). However, it's application time line is only a bit shorter than the med school one, and they also have very limited spots and many applicants. Still needs a fair bit of effort to get in, even for a plan B.

As for my plan B, same as last year . . . find a plan B. I heard pimping is lucrative, and you get to work with people too....

:hat I'd proabably need a hat like that one.

Guest arjuna83

A few weeks ago at my school, this company was advertising opportunities to teach English in Japan/South Korea and other places. I didn't pay much attention at the time but do remember them stating it was a 1 year placement. When I think about it now it sounds like a great way to learn about a different culture and experience life in foreign place. Has anybody done this kind of thing? I'd be interested in knowing how one gets about enrolling in such a program and if it's really worth it.

Archived