Premed 101 Forums

23 days and dreading

Guest mg83

okay as the days tick by my excitement level is steadily dropping while my anxiety level is rising. At this point, there's hope and anticipation but if may 15 goes by without good news i'll be devestated so now i'm kinda dreading D-Day. ah the emotional rollercoster that is the admissions process. I wish it was over already but then again I wish it wouldn't so that I won't be disappointed....ahhhhhh....this is making me crazy!:eek

I know...and with the seat increase there's a good chance most who aren't accepted will get thrown on the waitlist anyway, just prolonging the torture :lol

Three little weeks to go...I'm gonna drive my family nuts!

Guest Jochi1543

Seriously, I have decided that next spring, while I'm waiting to hear back, I will gather all the other paranoid Calgary premeds and make them train for some charity run with me to put all that hyperactive anxiety to use. :rollin Or, we could go clean old people's houses for free or something to burn all that energy. :lol

Guest arjuna83

Seriously, this wait is the ultimate torture. My last exam is next Thursday so at least I have something (or trying!) to focus on. After that, all hell will break loose.

Jochi: That's something I should look into. Hmm volunteer work... I should check if any projects are happening here.

Guest arjuna83

You know what makes things even worse? when friends/relatives keep asking me, "have you heard back yet?" for the thousandth time! When this inquisition first began I nicely exlained to them that it takes time for schools to select candidates and the earliest we hear back will be May 15th. But no, they don't stop there. A few days later the question "have you heard back yet?" faithfully pops up again! This is starting to drive me nuts >: I now simply say "May 15th!!!!!"

Guest happy2bme

any word yet on how we will/will not be notified????

I hope it's a quick and hopefully painless email, waiting all day for my phone to ring last year was pure and utter torture!! and my faith in the postal system is somewhat lacking.....

Guest Lurkergonepublic

arjuna,

I was just going to write about that too! It seems like just when life gets busy enough that you start to forget you're waiting to hear back from the schools someone helpfully asks if you've heard back yet. And so many just don't understand the process. "Well, if you don't hear in May are you applying again for September?" Ahhhuug! My answer: "If I have to apply again, I'm not telling you about it."

Guest cpltanto

I think my problem is not so much anxiety about May 15th, but rather finding the motivation to study for my last exam...

i've slacked pretty hard this semester knowing that they dont look at these marks...

but if i dont get in this year...well i'm screwed haha

i work in a hospital so I always get:

"have you heard anything?"

"No, not until may 15"

"Oh, i'm sure everything will be okay...." Now comes the 25 minute lecture on "are you sure this is what you want....medicine is a life long commitment.....when i applied to med school (which was like 3 decades ago for some of the attendings)...." and then people from many disiplines get together to convince me why their specialty is better than the others which makes me want to be a doctor even more and makes me frustrated that i'm on the outside looking in. My new strategy is to always have my ipod with me and avoid human contact at all costs....except you guys of course:b

Archived