Premed 101 Forums

References question

Does anyone have any advice on how they picked their references for the 3 categories? Particularly, I'm wondering about the commitment to communities/advocacy reference....I have asked a volunteer supervisor in the past to write this reference for me. However, I'm thinking of maybe switching it to my employer as I work in a clinical setting seeing patients every day? Not sure which is better so would appreciate any advice.

I agree with you in that the three references are quite specific. I think that, from the options you have mentioned, choose the reference who is going be the most expressive when speaking about you. I am always wary of volunteer coordinators writing reference letters as they get innundated with them and are thus liable to write you a crummy reference. Besides, references are yet another dimension of your application that you can use to stand out... don't just select some boring old volunteer coordinator.