Premed 101 Forums

CASPer Preparation Time

Moonlight2

Hi guys,

I am in a situation for Mcgill MDCM this year that I believe if I do really well on the Casper test I might actually have a decent chance! (GPA 3.89, 1st author manuscript submission, 2 years of hospital volunteering, other community and advocacy volunteering, etc)

I am, however, taking the MCAT for a shot at Western Ontario on a date that will leave me only 2 weeks to prepare for the CASPer test. I was wondering if anyone here has done full-on casper prep before and if you have an idea how long I might need for a good result (considering that my typing is fairly slow and I seriously don't think I can just "be myself" and wing it!)

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Hi !!

Honestly, I did not prepare my Casper exam and I was accepted in many med schools (including McGill) and as the situations change every year, it can be a bit difficult to do a really good preparation... Or it's pretty much the same as the interview, maybe some introspection about yourself and your values, experiences, etc... 

My best advice should be to upgrade your typing speed because this is a major component of this test... Especially, if you want to be able to give your full reflexion... 

If you really want to prepare your test, then I think 2 weeks is wayyyy enough. Maybe someone who did prep could tell you more  !

Best of luck for this year !

2 hours ago, Dr. Un Jour said:

Hi !!

Honestly, I did not prepare my Casper exam and I was accepted in many med schools (including McGill) and as the situations change every year, it can be a bit difficult to do a really good preparation... Or it's pretty much the same as the interview, maybe some introspection about yourself and your values, experiences, etc... 

My best advice should be to upgrade your typing speed because this is a major component of this test... Especially, if you want to be able to give your full reflexion... 

If you really want to prepare your test, then I think 2 weeks is wayyyy enough. Maybe someone who did prep could tell you more  !

Best of luck for this year !

Thanks for responding. Would you mind sharing what your GPA was for McGill, and briefly your major ECs?

14 hours ago, Dr. Un Jour said:

Sure ! My GPA was 3,99/4 ! Not so much ECs... Some grants, research projects (no publications), one conference in a international meeting... Some volonteering ! I worked 5 years in a association who helped people in need. 

Even though your GPA would have probably given you a much higher ranking than mine will, but this still helps clarify things a bit. Thank you ^_^