Premed 101 Forums

volunteering in calgary

Guest UBCstu

Guest UBCstu

I am from BC and I will be staying in Calgary for the summer. Does anyone have any recommendations for volunteering that I caould do. I volunteer at a hospital currently but I prob. have to rule that option out because the whole application process+ interviews takes a few months and I only have 4 months in total. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Guest marbledust

UBCstu, what are you interested in? There are tons of volunteering opportunities in Calgary, medical and non-medical. If you are only going to be here for a few months over the summer, I agree that it might be a bit tricky landing a spot at one of the hospitals given the timelines involved in the process.

There are a few places I have been involved with, either as a volunteer or paid employee, that are always looking for volunteer. One is The Sharpe Foundation, which works with HIV patients. They are always in need of people. It can be an emotionally tough place to volunteer, but is also very rewarding.

Another is CUPS which runs a large program for homeless and low income individuals and families. It's a great place to volunteer because there are many diverse opportunities. They recruit for positions in their health/dental clinic; to help teach classes and workshops to children and adults; to help people learn about and hook up with other social agencies; and even to proofread and edit a newspaper sold by their clients, among others. Whatever your skills or interests are, I am sure they can find a place to make use of them. I have been involved with CUPS off and on for about 8 years. I have enjoyed it very much and met many wonderful people.

I imagine that both places probably have web site and probably on-line applications. I know that they both are perpetually in desperate need of help, so you would probably experience much less red tape and waiting than with a hospital position.

Good luck :)

Guest jgray2

if you're at the university of calgary (taking courses), you can volunteer to read to children over the summertime to promote childhood literacy -- Dr. Seuss in the Park. it's set up knowing that you only have 4 months to volunteer. therefore, the screening process, training process etc is shortened as much as possible.

very fun too. just wear lots of bugspray cuz you'll be out in the sun a lot.

Archived