Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Application

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

Is there a way to control the order of entries on the Calgary application? Both my extra-curricular and employment lists appear to be in random order. They are not dependent upon order entered, dates or alphabet.

How far back should we go with employment history? Should I include jobs I held during high school, even though that was 10 years ago?

Thanks for the information.

Elaine

Guest riffraff

hi, both the employment & extracurric. lists are sorted out chronologically by start dates. the activity with the most recent start date is at the top.

not sure about how far back you should go with employment history though, hopefully someone else can answer.

Guest marbledust

Hey Elaine,

Nice to see you applying to Calgary! :)

As for how far you should go back in terms of job history, I had the same problem when I was applying.

Basically what I did was include everything in the past 8 years (I worked full-time for most of this period). I included a few part-time jobs from earlier than that if I felt they added something significant to my application. So I included the job I held in high school working for my hometown's newspaper, but did not include the job I had during undergrad painting graves :P

The only problem I had with this was that I had some gaps in my employment history due to leaving things out--this might be a problem if applying for a job, but it didn't come up during my meds interview.

Good luck! Where else are you applying this year?

Guest Elaine I

Thanks riffraff and marble!

Marble, to answer your question... I applied to Western, Toronto, Queen's and NOSM in Ontario. MCAT dependent, I'll also be applying to Dalhousie and Calgary. Here's hoping for at least one interview!

Elaine

Guest marbledust

Hi Kaymcee:

How are the apps going? :)

As for your questions:

how young were you eight years ago (PM if this is a sore spot)

Not a sore spot at all...I am not so old that I can't tell people :)

Eight years ago I was 23...if my math is correct. :hat

and how was your grave painting job?

Ah yes, the most infamous thing on my cv. It was not bad when I was working in town and could see people driving or walking by. But then I spent two months in old cemetaries out in the middle of nowhere. I would get dropped off at 7:30 am and it would be just me and the graves. It was, well, more than just a tad creepy. How did I get this job? I was working for a municipal department and since nobody would volunteer to do the graves, the boss made us all draw straws. Of course, I lost :P

Guest kaymcee

Well, marble, you might just win those "Who's has the worst job ever" contests that tend to come up in conversation from time-to-time.

As for my applications, I had planned to apply to four Ontario schools, but that got shaved to two (Western and Queens). I've also applied to UBC and Manitoba. I have most of my applications to Calgary and Alberta completed, and my MCAT results on Friday will determine if I finish them. I'm happy with how it's going, but I'm hoping that Queen's GPA cut-off doesn't move up much and that I get some lucky numbers on Friday.

Guest marbledust
I have most of my applications to Calgary and Alberta completed, and my MCAT results on Friday will determine if I finish them.

Nothing worse than waiting for MCAT scores. Good luck with those and the apps. :)

Archived