Premed 101 Forums

UofT's new requirements

Toronto has incorporated quite a bit of new material in their admissions process this cycle that isn't academic related (as in the max-2-page personal statement, greatest accomplishment essay and CASPer test). Do you guys think these will actually play a decent role in admitting students with lower than average GPAs? Or do you think, since this is the first time they're asking for these, that they're just testing the waters with the new requirements and academics is still just as important to them as they always were.

When they first introduce Casper for the meds, they did not count in the admission process (data was collected for diagnostic reasons).

now they pretty much count. If U of T decides meds = dents, in terms of Casper applicability, it will count

IMHO... essays are just giving additional interview chance to those with lower stats.

I think it’s traditional 60% GPA, 10% DAT,  30% interview (need clarification for this one) with additional perks for essay and red flags for CASPER.

really bad Casper response kicked people’s with excellent stats to waitlist in the past cycle.

This is what I think. I could be wrong.

Sorry this is unrelated (didn't want to make a new thread) but is the one year of physiology pre-req strict? Or do they have a challenge exam like at Western? All I have is a 1 semester physiology course.

jw because I wasn't planning on applying to UofT but today I thought I might as well give it a shot. Didn't realize there was a 2 semester physiology requirement though.

On 11/13/2019 at 4:58 PM, mcz said:

Sorry this is unrelated (didn't want to make a new thread) but is the one year of physiology pre-req strict? Or do they have a challenge exam like at Western? All I have is a 1 semester physiology course.

jw because I wasn't planning on applying to UofT but today I thought I might as well give it a shot. Didn't realize there was a 2 semester physiology requirement though.

You can always call and ask. I remember I asked if my physiology course counted and they just said "its for your own good". That to me sounds like its not super strict but you can always double check