Premed 101 Forums

Question for applicants & accepted

Guest Titanium2003

Guest Titanium2003

Hi all,

I will applying for entry to the class beginning 2007 which means I will apply next summer (2006). I am taking a job travelling all over the world but mostly Asia and Africa for the next 18 months. I thought I should collect all my reference letters now and keep them with Interfolio (the reference company) and just have them sent out next July.

Since UC's referee forms are not generic, have any of you submitted forms that are a year older than your year of application? It will be nearly impossible for me to chase after my three referees (graduate advisor, long time employer, and volunteer coordinator) next year when I am not in the country.

Interfolio promises and guarantees confidentiality and would allow me to mail out the stored letters through the internet come summer 2006.

Thanks so much,

Nora

Guest happy2bme

I don't think that using a service for stored letters would be an issue, but the actual forms that the referees fill out could always be changed between now and Fall 2006 which could pose a problem.

However your query would be best answered by calling UofC Admissions directly and speaking personally to Adele about your proposal for your reference letters.

Have fun in your job!

Guest Titanium2003

Thanks, happy2bme.

I intend to have loads of fun while travelling at my employer's expense;) . I sent UC's admission office an e-mail they must be busy with the new class beginning. I think it will be better as you've said to call and ask to speak to Adele.

Guest CrazyKath

In general... any questions about administration/forms go to Adele. She is an AMAZING woman with infinite patience etc. etc.!

That being said, don't pester her with questions that are addressed on the website FAQ :P . Re: travel and your reference forms she can definitely point you in the right direction!

Good luck and happy travels!

~K~

Guest Titanium2003

Thanks, CrazyKath!

I got an e-mail from Adele and she basically confirmed my suspicions that ref. letters could change and the best thing to do is to guide my referees to the school website next year and have them download the letter and send it. This may force me to change one of my referees going on hiatus in South Africa and will probably be out of reach. Oh well :\ !

Archived