Premed 101 Forums

It online volunteer worth it and value the same as traditional volunteering experience.

DR@YCC

I'm in grade 12 in currently have no volunteer experience at all. So as the title says should i be looking towards traditional volunteer experiences such as soup kitchens, libraries and hospital. Or go towards volunteer online as getting to the location could be kind of challenge. Also if anyone could recommend online volunteering platform it would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone used https://www.onlinevolunteering.org/?

and my ultimate goal is to get in med school.

I would not look at online volunteering as a 1st choice.  You should think of how your ECs can be described in the CanMeds framework (google it) when it comes time to apply.  They also should be things that you enjoy doing.    ECs that have direct physical involvement help you grow your social, teamwork, public speaking and leadership skills.   You also can build lifelong friendships from the shared experiences.  You learn much by watching how others interact and can gain mentors in the process.

Online volunteering might be good depending on what you learn from it and what experiences you gain, but I would say only in conjunction with other "real life" direct, physical volunteering. If, come med school application time, you only have online volunteering, you will not be as competitive as the thousands of applicants who have done the hospitals, soup kitchens, libraries  etc. Admissions committees will want to see you have direct interactions with members of the community.  Meridian recommended the CanMeds framework as a guide and I totally agree - here it is for reference. 

There are so so so many volunteer opportunities and places that need extra hands, so I am sure you can find something near to you in your community!