Premed 101 Forums

Biochem at UofC

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

I need to take a 400 level biochem course at UofC.

Not a passion of mine so I am looking for a structured class that doesn't tend to deviate too much from the notes given or lectures taught.

Nothing worse than going to a exam looking at the paper asking about concepts that you never heard or seen before, but yet others in the class with bootlegged exams answer them fine never allowing the questions to be tossed from the system.

Also which courses should I tend to avoid due to ridiculous lab time/assignments?

Any feedback would be great. As far as registering etc I always need special permission from the department as I'm not in a degree program so I have to wait until all reg students register and then reg or wait until they drop out then get in etc...

Guest fizzicyst

Hey there,

Are you sold on UofC or do you just need a biochem in case the waitlist trickle isn't fast enough? (Good luck BTW!!)

Anyway, you might want to check out BIOL401 at Athabasca... distance course, very structured (follows the text almost exactly) and you can start in any month you want. It's a half course.. CHEM 301 usually counts as the other half for schools that want a full year.

Anyway, best of luck and hopefully see you in the fall!

Guest marbledust

AU is a good option. You might also want to check out Mount Royal. They offer two intro bichem courses that would work for you. And chem courses too if you need one. Big advantage is that the classes and labs are much, much, much smaller than at U of C. And cheaper too! You would probably have to wait until August 15 to register, though.

Guest summervirus

I majored in biochem at the UofC for my undergrad. Things might have changed over the years but I believe that students were required to take BCEM443 before being allowed to take any of the other 400- or 500- level courses. So, BCEM443 might be your only option.

Guest happy2bme

Well I want to be able to expand my applications to include Manitoba and I just got word that they will only accept 393 and 443 from UofC and they require both as prereq. so 443 it is!

On an aside, UofM accepts No distance education courses for biochem requirements. I know that before all the posts were lost that some said manitoba accepts Athabasca U courses for biochem, but I had it confirmed via email that they don't.

Thanks for all your help, mush appreciated!!!

Archived