Premed 101 Forums

Getting your File review in poor taste while on waitlist?

Guest Keetcha

Guest Keetcha

Hey,

I wanted to use the Freedom of Information Privacy Act thingamajig to review my file at U of C. I was wondering if it was appropriate to requisition this information while I was still sitting on the out of province waitlist or would it be in better form to wait until my file was closed when classes started in August?

Guest cause2003

I think you wont get it until the application season is done and your file is closed. I rember last year I FOIPed it after I didn't get an interview and I think i got a letter saying I would have to wait until the summer for the info to come. I'm not 100% sure of this because it was a year ago.

-cause

Guest happy2bme

I'm definitly asking for mine at the close of applications! I know my interview was subpar in terms of gathering information about who I am and how I operate(

both on my part and the part of the interviewers)

, and I believe I came off much too enthusiastic! But hey thanks just me! I would like to see if the interviewers believed that I was too nervous or overly friendly so if I have to do this process again I can practise being more reserved.

The rest of my app obviously is easier to assess by comparing to stats that the rest of applicants post on this board which is extremely helpful and my essay topic hopefully will never change as the greatest challenge of my life to date was a doozy and while I welcome challenges I don't want to undergo anything harder than I already have! I currently regard climbing Everest as easier than my essay topic LOL!

Hopefully as decision deadlines get closer us waitlisters will hear more good news!

Guest moxiekat

I maybe jumped the gun a little bit on this one, but I am on the waitlist and I already sent in the freedom of information request. I got an email back about 10 days after saying that the form, essentially, does not work. This was my response:

"I received your request for access to your medical school admissions file. I would, however, ask you to contact the Admissions Department for a copy. It has established a process for providing access to the file."

Has anybody contacted admissions to find this out? I'm pretty sure they would shoot me down since I am on the waitlist. I wonder why the Freedom of Information request worked last year and not this year.

Guest CrazyKath

I also sent in the FOIP form as per the instructions on the website and received a "go ask the med admissions office" email.

From the forum it sounds like I'll have to wait until mid August to receive my stats.

YEAH! More waiting!! :b

Guest moxiekat

Do you think they will even allow us access to our files come mid-August? I know med schools are notoriously reluctant to release file copies to applicants... If we can't play the freedom of information angle, I wonder if we will be able to recieve our files at all. Any thoughts?

Guest happy2bme

Let us know how you fare moxiekat. I think I saw your name accepted at another school, am I mistaken? UBC or western, I think??? If so congratulations! So if you indeed were accepted at another school, is it that UofCis your first choice and you are wondering why you didn't get in first round acceptance? Are you OOP or inprov? ahhh so many questions for so early in the am....

Guest moxiekat

Hey happy2beme - I was lucky enough to get in to a couple other schools. Calgary was my 2nd choice, but I already got my first choice - UBC. I'm an OOP applicant. So, although I am going to decline my waitlist spot once my registration package arrives (just to be sure nothing goes wrong with transcripts ;-), I would still love to learn where I can improve. I may as well learn may fatal interview flaws now :rollin

Guest house

yeah i have.

they changed the way the FOIP works, so now you're supposed to go directly to susan instead of through the FOIP bureau or whatever it is called.

i say, you might as well ask for the info that you want, worst comes to worst they will tell you that you cant get it yet and you can get it later, right?

Archived