Premed 101 Forums

What happens when..

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

So you're female and in a committed relationship and planned or unplanned in the middle of first year you find yourself pregnant! So you decide to become a mom.... what are your options at UofC med school, obviously you are almost always able to finish the current year but are you able to defer your "next"year to take some mat leave??

Has paternaty leave ever been granted?

I bring this up because I'm sure many applicants have these questions in the back of their minds and I'm sure that med students do get pregnant and I'm wondering how it is handled by the school in terms of accomadating the fertile....

Guest wattyjl

"...in terms of accomadating the fertile...."

i have no answer for the question but just had to say that your choice of words made me laugh :lol

Guest Lorae

For mothers, a full year mat leave can be easily accomodated (especially during class time) as you just pick up right where you left off with the next year's class. The class of 2008 will be joined by a meerkat near the end of their first year.

If someone wants more time then this, I believe it becomes a leave of absence and would have to go through the channels of approval.

I really don't know how this would apply to a boy for paternity leave. The new dads in our class have stayed with us - although I'm sure there's some provision (even if it's a formal leave of absence).

Hope that helps

Guest Jerika81

U of C is very accommodating for maternity leave. As Lorae mentioned, the most common route is probably to take a year off and join the class behind you the next year. There is at least one Fulmar who will be joining the Meerkats part way through clerkship for this reason. There is also a new mother in our class who decided not to take any time off and was able to balance school and being a new mom at the same time (with the help of a supportive husband I'm sure).

I'm also not sure about paternity leave as all the dad's in our class didn't take any time off, but my guess is that U of C would accommodate this if someone wanted it- most probably wouldn't though as you're obviously not making any money during the time off and it will be another year longer before you do make any.

Archived