Premed 101 Forums

Fees 'n Junk

Guest ScoobyBill

Guest ScoobyBill

Hey gang

Wondering if anybody knows the answer to the following:

1) Does the thousand bucks we paid to reserve a spot count as our August 15th minimum registration deposit?

2) Is all our tuition (ie the whole 15 grand shot of it) due by the end of September, or 50 % (with the other 50 % coming in Jan.)?

Cheers

Bill

Guest turtle

i know that the answer to your first question is "yes", but i'm not sure about the second. i do remember reading somewhere that if you're getting osap, tuition can be split between sept & jan, but i don't remember what percent is due when & if this is only for those getting osap or for everyone...

Guest little endian

I think last year I had to pay all of my tuition in the fall... I'm not sure about the special OSAP splitting thing though.

Guest coleflower

There is the possibility of deferring some tuition to January if you are receiving OSAP. I don't remember ever being told this in advance, but from the registrar's website:

"A service charge, (prime + 3%), will be applied on any account balances at the end of the banking day on September 30 and on every month-end date thereafter. To view current and past rates, visit www.queensu.ca/registrar/..._rate.pdf.

Undergraduate students receiving second term OSAP will have a waiver of service charges up to the amount of their second instalment. Students must process their first-term funding prior to qualifying for the waiver. OSAP information is received regularly from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities to provide the most recent loan/grant amounts.

Example: If the 2nd term instalment is known to be $3,000, service charges will be applied only on any balance over $3,000. After 31 January. service charges will accrue on the total outstanding amount. "

so I guess you have to pay all tuition by Sept 30 MINUS the amount of OSAP you're expecting in January.

C

Guest nextstopmd

Hey there,

Coleflower is correct about this service from the registrar's office. If you are borrowing from a line of credit to pay for tuition, you should take advantage of not having to pay all your tuition up front to save in interest charges.

Just another point of interest for the 1st years: the registrar's office does not accept credit card payments for tuition, so you can't get a bunch of points (or Air Miles, or whatever) like you can at some other schools. More than anything, I wish they would change this rule...

nextstopmd

Just another point of interest for the 1st years: the registrar's office does not accept credit card payments for tuition, so you can't get a bunch of points (or Air Miles, or whatever) like you can at some other schools. More than anything, I wish they would change this rule...

Curious, has anyone tried to go to Western Union and use their credit card there? I was curious if this is an option/loop hole. I've never even been to a Western Union, so I don't know if it would work, but I am aware that you can pay for tuition there, so I thought I would ask.

• 2 weeks later...

"so I guess you have to pay all tuition by Sept 30 MINUS the amount of OSAP you're expecting in January."

That's correct, if you are receiving OSAP and expect a certain amount in January, that payment can be deferred until then. There's a "deferred amount" box in your financial statement on QCARD.

hmmm....just checked mine & it's not showing anything at all. in fact, when i go to the "fees & account info" (or whatever it's called) section, & click on "show account info", it gives me an error message saying i'm not logged in...

sorry, guess i'm no help with that...

as an aside: have you been able to set up your queen's email?? i got my qcard password over a week ago, but it still says "student # not registered" every time i try to log in to qlink ("getID") to set up my email...

Lola

Archived