Premed 101 Forums

Any Advice Please? Non Trads? #Dalhousie

So I am in my second year with a very low GPA of 2.98 as a Business Administration student and i have made up my mind to fully commit to my studies and work extra hard to improve my GPA and hopefully graduate with a 3.5+ distinction. I am thinking of retaking some of the classes i did not perform well as a freshman just to boost my GPA and get rid of the Cs. Just looking for some motivation and honest opinions on what you think i should do, should i retake my first year classes or should i just keep on going and apply to Med schools that only focus on the last two years of undergrad once i graduate ? Thank you.

You probably do not want to re-take courses.  Some med schools will not count the 2nd mark and you could then also be left without a full course load in that year removing the option to use weighted wGPA.  Continue on with your program if you like the courses.  Work at achieving +3.85 GPA going forward as +3.5 will not be competitive.

3 hours ago, Meridian said:

You probably do not want to re-take courses.  Some med schools will not count the 2nd mark and you could then also be left without a full course load in that year removing the option to use weighted wGPA.  Continue on with your program if you like the courses.  Work at achieving +3.85 GPA going forward as +3.5 will not be competitive.

I am in my second year right now, you really think it is possible to move from a 2.9 to a 3.9?

6 hours ago, Nsekanabo said:

I am in my second year right now, you really think it is possible to move from a 2.9 to a 3.9?

Med Schools all have different methods to do a weighted wGPA for application assessment.  Only MAC uses the full 4 year cGPA.   Dal which you reference, as example uses last 2 years.  Note they do require full course load and do NOT like repeat courses. So keep going with full course load and work to achieve a high GPA.  Your first year will not hurt you if you can do well in year 2,3,4

You will see many schools do similar things - Queens, Western, Ottawa, U of T all haved weighted GPA's.

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/admissions/gpa-requirement/degree-assessment.html

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/admissions/course-load-requirements.html

Can you move from 2.9 to 3.9 ?   It will be a lot of work and probably major changes to your approach.  You can do it.  Make full use of your schools resources (TA's, support hours, admin support, study groups).

On 1/17/2020 at 10:47 PM, Meridian said:

Med Schools all have different methods to do a weighted wGPA for application assessment.  Only MAC uses the full 4 year cGPA.   Dal which you reference, as example uses last 2 years.  Note they do require full course load and do NOT like repeat courses. So keep going with full course load and work to achieve a high GPA.  Your first year will not hurt you if you can do well in year 2,3,4

You will see many schools do similar things - Queens, Western, Ottawa, U of T all haved weighted GPA's.

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/admissions/gpa-requirement/degree-assessment.html

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/admissions/course-load-requirements.html

Can you move from 2.9 to 3.9 ?   It will be a lot of work and probably major changes to your approach.  You can do it.  Make full use of your schools resources (TA's, support hours, admin support, study groups).

Thank you very much, God bless you.