Premed 101 Forums

Premed history

Guest kylerh

Guest kylerh

For those who were accepted into Toronto medicine last year what was your pre-med history?(GPA, MCAT, ec's, prior work experience, degree, etc.)

kylerh;)

Guest BCSarah

My history probably gives a lot of hope - I barely passed the verbal and written part of the MCAT but managed a 14 in bio, so had 34 overall, and my GPA stunk, but I did well enough in my last two years (~88%) to make up for it (and talked about that in my sketch). I am quite proud to be here with a 22% standing on my transcript (long story, but proof that anything is possible... and proof that my writing skills might not be so bad afterall).

As for extra-curriculars, my list included a lot of travelling, sports, and a wicked youth organization that is a huge part of my life (cisv.org - blatant plug). I worked a ton too b/c I had to pay my way through undergrad. As such, I didn't have a ton of medical experience... or, ok, I had none. No volunteering in hospitals or research labs, and I thought that I would be hooped because of it. Not so, apparently.

Just be confident in what you've done and figure out how it has helped prepare you for a career in medicine. Every experience can teach you valuable lessons of help develop important skills. Good luck!

Guest antissa

I also have no idea how I managed to slip in under the radar, though my story is kind of the opposite of Sarah's

When I applied, I had strong stats (3.92, 38R) but we all know that numbers don't matter at Queens once you're over the bar.

But I was a baby, and had almost no experience with anything... maybe a month or two of volunteering here and there, almost no extracurriculars, no impressive accomplishments, certainly nothing like the crazy resumes from panicked "am I good enough?" posters in the general premed forum. One or two people even told me I didn't stand a chance because I wouldn't have anything to talk about during my interview, but I ended up having the greatest time during my interview. Of course, you only ever realize that in retrospect, because you're so nerve-wrecked before you get that letter in the mail.

But it just goes to show that even though that stuff is important, what's more important is how you present it and yourself

Guest little endian

I would have to say I was a pretty typical med school applicant all in all. I had a GPA of 3.84, an MCAT of 33R and a masters when I applied. I had volunteered with students with disabilities, got 2 scholarships with some prestige to them, and travelled to europe to do my masters before I got in. I also was involved in student government during my undergrad and of course there's always my charm and good looks. I have to say that I thought my interview went GREAT when I was at Queen's and I think that's what really set me apart from all the rest. Good luck everyone!

Archived