Premed 101 Forums

Significant others of interviewees

Guest irit

hi there,

My name is Irit and I am a girlfriend of a Meds '09 student. I moved to Kingston with him, and plan to be here throughout his studies.

The transition of the 'significant other' can be difficult, and so I've decided to try to do as much as I can for anyone who will be living here with their med-school partner.

If your girlfriend or boyfriend (heck even your dog!) have any questions they would like to ask (incl. questions about interview weekend), please do not hesitate to contact me, and I would be glad to help!

hope to see you all here next year,

irit

ee.reet@gmail.com

Guest treehuggingbiologist

Woof woof. Woof woof, woof woof bark woof bark bark.

Hehe all this stress is getting to me. I'm not a crazy stressed med app, i'm a koala bear!! :rollin

/dances around

(thanks though. i'm sure if i had a significant other, she'd be very thankful for the help you've offered. you rock dude[tte]!)

Guest silverbirdie

Well I know this is pretty general but...what is it like to be the SO of a med student? I'm worried about my SO and his transition! I tend to get really caught up in my work and I have to make a conscious effort not to be totally anti-social while studying for exams etc...How do you deal with it?

Well 'silverbirdie'. I am sure you won't have your nose in the books the entire semester. You're going to want to have a social life as well. . . and if you are anything like my partner, you will include your SO in your social life and they will be a part of your circle of friends. The med school community is very warm and welcoming. So long as you guys make an effort, he will feel right at home.

During exam time he will have to realize that you won't have time for him, and his social life might suffer a bit. However, I'm sure he will make friends of his own (outside of med students), and even during exams, ppl need a break.. so you will still go out once in a while.

My advice for you, is try not to be anti-social. You want the 4 year med-school experience to be a fun one as well... you won't need to study every second of every weekend.. and I am sure you will come to realize that once you are here (or wherever you are)

WOW .. long-winded answer !!!

'silverbirdie', is your SO planning to come live with you wherever you get in?

• 1 month later...

Not sure who ran the little significant others room for the first batch on interviewees, but I want to thank them for looking after my fiance while I chatted it up in the interview. It was a real selling point that there was that much emphasis on making sure that she was able to partake in everything with me.

B, We're so happy to hear that you appreciated that waiting room. It was the first year we've tried it, and from what I hear it was a success not only for SOs but also for family members and friends.

If you choose Queen's and vice-versa, your fiance will feel most welcome during orientation week as well!

take it easy,

Irit

Archived