Premed 101 Forums

Grading System at Queen's

Guest ScoobyBill

Guest ScoobyBill

I took a tour of the Med School at Dal this weekend, and was surprised to see that Grades are only Pass/Fail and overal how co-operative the student atmosphere is.

With Dal and Queen's being two of my top choices, I hoped to do a little comparison work.

How are students graded at Queen's? Is it Honours/Pass/Fail or just Pass/Fail?

For any current students, would you describe the school as competitive or more co-operative?

Thanks a lot?

Guest little endian

Our grading system at Queen's is pass/fail/honours but seriously, nobody cares about anyone else's grades as far as I can tell (although we haven't got our first semester marks yet so maybe everyone will turn into a marks maniac, who knows). Nobody is competitive and if they are a competitive person they find other outlets for their competitive nature, like kicking other school's asses as medgames. At exam time everyone gives everyone else all their study materials etc. so there's lots of collaboration. I wouldn't let the grading system be what you based your med school choice on.

I couldn't agree more with Kate. When I first got to Queen's I heard that the students all look out for each other, especially come exams. After we just went through the Phase I exams, I can say that our class followed this tradition to a tee. This is especially useful when your class has a diverse background in various specialties, which ours certainly does.

Archived