Premed 101 Forums

How strict is Queen's cut-off?

Guest McGill kid

Guest McGill kid

Hi there,

How strict does the Queen's admissions panel stick to the decided-upon cutoffs? Particularly the MCAT one. Is it worth my applying if I could make the GPA cut-off but have one pretty low MCAT section (a 7) or will my application be tossed without further thought?

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

That's the catch. The cutoff is calculated based on this year's distribution of scores. We won't know what the cutoff is until after we submit our applications.

Its likely to be 31+ again this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shadowguitar

From the applicant pool they take the top 800 (or so?) GPAs, so whatever #800 has for a GPA is what determines the cutoff. From there they take the top 400 (or 450?) MCAT scores and offer interviews. So, if #400 has a 35, then that is the cutoff.

There are no exceptions made, as far as I am aware.

It could be the other way around (MCAT first, then GPA), but I can't remember for certain.

Guest Kooman

- I was told by the admission officer that the cutoffs are computerized. This means that if you don't have the required cutoffs, the computer will automatically discard your application.

- Looking at the trend of the Queen's cutoff for the past 5 years, GPA cutoffs has been steadily going up from 3.57 to 3.66. So my guess is that this year's cutoff would probably be around 3.68. As for the MCAT cutoff, that has been increased as well from 30 to 32. Therefore, the cutoffs posted on their websites are a good guideline of what you should expect. This year's cutoffs will either be the same or higher than last year's.

Guest geekpunk

I've got a 33P but an 8 in VR!!!

I'm pretty sure Queen's has had cutoffs of 9's in the Multiple Choice sections, correct?

Damn, oh well, there gos $75, but that's life.

last year the cut-off was 32N. I had 32M, and was cut! so yes, they are strict.

that being said, i decided to re-write the mcat this year and actually went down! 31P, thanks to verbal... gahhhhh. so now i'm really hoping the cutoff goes down at least by a little. not very likely...

Guest flying kumquat

For entrance in Fall 2005, the cutoff was 3.66 cumulative GPA (or GPA in last 2 years of undergrad). The MCAT cutoff was 9 in each of the bio, physical science, and verbal sections, with a total score no less than 32, and an O in writing.

For entrance in Fall 2004, GPA cutoff was 3.62. MCAT cutoff was 9 in science and verbal sections (32 cumulative score), N in writing.

That's all I could find for now.

Archived